Author Topic: Channellock has new screwdrivers  (Read 2312 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Channellock has new screwdrivers
« on: February 20, 2023, 09:54:34 PM »
I knew it was only a matter of time once they introduced their new Mayhew made pick set, that the screwdrivers were soon to follow.
The previous acetate handles were made by Pratt-Read I believe, but these new Pro series drivers seem to be made by Mayhew.

I'll have to try a 4pc set once they become available, I could buy just a ph2 but then I'd need to order more if I like it.
I sure wish they were a 4 sided handle instead of tri-lobe, but I'm still willing to give them a try because they seem less oversized then the Tri-lobe Wilde drivers that I'm not quite in love with yet.

Here are the pictures I could find.

I could only find a picture of the 4pc set ( in the packaging ) in a premature listing from TSC but they're not available yet so the pic wouldn't take me to the tractor supply website where I could download the image.
Apparently there will also be nut drivers, recess Robertson ,  and handle pry bars.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:33:52 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Channellock has new screwdrivers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 10:26:40 PM »
The mayhews actually look a bit nicer though,the parallel ribbing there where your thumb and index finger sit are something I really like about the handles on those crappy $6 US MADE ACE exclusive Stanleys.
They were great handles, terrible shanks on them.

The Mayhew precision drivers also use the same handles as their picks and mini pry bars which I really think is a good idea.

I'm pretty sure the Channellock drivers are made by Mayhew, or at least the handles are definitely coming from the same factory.
The Mayhews handles are slightly different and the precision drivers are completely different.
I have no clue what the Channellock stubbies will look like if they have them but they would tell us if Mayhew is entirely responsible depending on whether the shanks are square or round.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:36:21 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 06:40:00 PM »
Definitely don't like the look of those handles.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 09:33:31 PM »

The aesthetics or the ergonomics?

I'm willing to give them a try , but I've only ever tried one tri-lobe handle design before.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 07:24:07 AM »
I have tri lobes in old Snappy drivers, Mac soft grip nut drivers and misc. other brands.  I like them especially the old Snappys

The Channelocks look a little cheap in the pics.  A two tone scheme would make them look better

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 09:07:05 AM »
I have tri lobes in old Snappy drivers, Mac soft grip nut drivers and misc. other brands.  I like them especially the old Snappys

The Channelocks look a little cheap in the pics.  A two tone scheme would make them look better
I suppose they could have done these as code blue handles, but they'd have to drop the imported code blue drivers ( a good idea anyways ) and make sure people knew these were American made.

Personally I like them being just plain CL blue like their pliers.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 06:31:38 PM »
looking forward to these!

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 07:23:15 PM »

I'm willing to give them a try , but I've only ever tried one tri-lobe handle design before.
Both lol

I'm more of a round or square handle guy

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 10:50:01 PM »

Both lol

I'm more of a round or square handle guy

Generally I'm the same with the Stanley 100 plus, Pratt-Read essentials, and Tekton hard handles being my favorite.
I haven't tried everything though and am open to finding a tri-lobe handle I like if possible because I'm still undecided.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 12:29:48 AM »
My favorite screwdrivers are, old Snappy hard handle style, the Williams hard handles that replaced Snappy drivers once they were discontinued,  Proto yellow handles, Mac old style hard handles almost twin to old Snappy design, Stanley 100 line. Also old Craftsman Super Tuff screwdrivers from the 1950's.  You rarely see the old Super Tuff CM drivers but I found a few through the years and I luv the few I have.

These days, the only drivers I would buy are the Williams hard handles, Super quality, great price, and twins to the old Snappy hard handles from the day. For my money they are as good as the old Snappies from the day.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline walrus

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 11:10:54 AM »
If Mayhew is making them that should be USA made and decent drivers. I'm with the other "old" guys :) Snap On hard Handles rule

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 12:52:02 PM »
For me it’s more about the tips rather than the handles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
What do you all keep in your vehicle/travel boxes?

For me, because on the road I do not have an impact screwdriver, and don't want them to be confused with someone else's, Felo's wood handled ones.
The shaft goes all the way through and the end has a leather (I think) cap, for light impact use.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 06:13:28 PM »
I have the acetate handle Channellock screwdrivers in my toyo ST350.
It's mostly used when I need yo work on something at my mom's house.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 08:44:53 PM »
I couldn't find a picture that I could download,  but Cornwell is going to be offering these new Mayhew screwdrivers as well.
Same color as the Channellock screwdrivers, but the same handle variant as the Standard Mayhews.

I'm anxious to try out the Channellocks once they're available,  but I will say that the little ridges on the Mayhew and Cornwell handles seem better than the very subtle impressions I believe I see on the Channellock version.
Always lookin' to learn