Author Topic: Slip joint pliers with a nut.  (Read 1757 times)

Offline ron350

Re: Slip joint pliers with a nut.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2023, 10:54:47 AM »
 Looks like most of the new slip joint pliers are now riveted and not chrome plated.
I can't find a picture of Tekton pliers that does not have a rivet. I will see what these NOS Western Forge pliers are like and go from there.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2023, 01:20:34 PM »
Looks like most of the new slip joint pliers are now riveted and not chrome plated.
I can't find a picture of Tekton pliers that does not have a rivet. I will see what these NOS Western Forge pliers are like and go from there.
I can only find pictures of one side of the WILDE slipjoints, but I can find pictures of the other side of their tongue & grooves and they have a nut.
I also found a very recent pair of their 8" slipjoints on Ebay and they had a nut.

You did actually order the WILDE from HJE right ?
If so I will be very surprised if they don't turn out to have a nut.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ron350

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 01:51:01 PM »
  Even if the Wilde pliers does not have a nut it will be made in America. I will post a picture of the Wilde pliers when they arrive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 01:53:21 PM by ron350 »

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 05:13:49 PM »
While I'm not a big fan of slip joint pliers and I think that stems from the nut at the fulcrum on the pairs I had. I'm more of a water pump pliers kinda guy. But I did obtain a hf set of slip joints and I will say they were decent. On par with the last craftsman set except the handles kept sliding off. Gave em some hair spray like I used to with the BMX bike grips and so far so good. I just like the craftsman units better. But I'll grab a channel lock pliers before a regular slip joint. And I have a set of klien needle nose with yellow handles(electrical) that are pretty much my go to

But for grabbing stuff and getting it on these duck bill units are the cats a$$. My grandpa used to have a set he used when rewinding starter springs on recoils for small engines.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 05:18:40 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline ron350

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 05:44:33 PM »
 TexasT do those duck bill pliers have smooth inner jaws? I have been looking for 8-inch duck bill pliers with smooth jaws.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2023, 07:23:55 PM »
Personally I think the flush fasteners are the best, and these are my favorite.

They don't actually get used all that often though,because I go to my Channellock drawer the most.
The current 8" Channellock slipjoints are good pliers, but the handles are much narrower these days.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2023, 10:00:10 PM »
Personally I think the flush fasteners are the best, and these are my favorite.

They don't actually get used all that often though,because I go to my Channellock drawer the most.
The current 8" Channellock slipjoints are good pliers, but the handles are much narrower these days.
i have a few of them and those are damn good no frills pliers.

no chrome, no super shiny finish, no fancy handles, no rivets to get caught on obstructions.

they just work
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline ron350

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2023, 04:59:36 PM »
 The Wilde pliers #G263P.NP/BB arrived early. These slip joint pliers are nice and they have the adjustable nut
 I am pleased with this purchase from Harry J. Epstein.

Thanks Hickory N Steel

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2023, 07:09:53 PM »
I'm glad they were whay you were looking for, HJE and MADE IN USA for the win again.
 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I'm still a Channellock fanboy, but I definitely love WILDE and have to admit that the F&F on their pliers is absolutely a step above Channellock at a very similar pricepoint.
Their lineup is significantly smaller though and theres no brick and mortar options for their pliers around me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:13:49 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2023, 08:02:56 AM »
The Wilde pliers #G263P.NP/BB arrived early. These slip joint pliers are nice and they have the adjustable nut

Thanks Hickory N Steel
If those came to me, the first thing Id do to them is peen over that thread on the nut to try to prevent it from loosening. or at least some red locktite on it.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2023, 10:09:33 AM »

Thanks Hickory N Steel
If those came to me, the first thing Id do to them is peen over that thread on the nut to try to prevent it from loosening. or at least some red locktite on it.
The last 2 pairs of WILDE pliers I bought came with the end of the bolt slightly peened, I'll bet these are too but you just can't tell in the picture.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ron350

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2023, 11:09:47 AM »
 Yep the end of the bolt has been peened.

Offline ron350

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2023, 10:19:06 PM »
 The 7- inch Western Forge pliers finally arrived will have to see how i like them.