Author Topic: Spark Plugs and Anti seize  (Read 1855 times)

Offline muddy

Spark Plugs and Anti seize
« on: May 05, 2023, 09:55:27 PM »
To seize or not to seize.... That is the question.

Most manufacturers today (ngk denso ac Delco etc.) do not recommend using anti seize.

Most of today's plugs have a coating on the threaded section to prevent seizure in today's aluminum heads engines.

That being said do you use anti seize on spark plugs?

Why or why not?

I do,  guess I'm still "old school".

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Spark Plugs and Anti seize
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 07:45:25 AM »
I'll admit to being on the "use anti-seize" side of the debate. I was told many years ago by a trusted professional mechanic (my FIL) that they didn't recommend DIYers use the stuff because they invariably used too much and fouled the plugs in the process -- same goes for O2 sensors. FIL always used a very small smudge of the stuff on all plug installs and applied it with a clean cotton swab. I do the same, and it's always made plug removal on the family fleet pretty uneventful.

That said, my wife's Traverse is coming up for new plugs (100K miles) and I'm dreading that one. It runs great (knock wood), but the original plugs need to go at 100K.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 01:20:05 PM »
When I did the tune up on the van I put anti-seize on the plugs. Then read you shouldn't. Probably due for another tune up in 20,000 miles but I'll have to let the mechanic do it. Hopefully they won't be messed up.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 06:47:56 PM »
When did it change and what is the coating on the plugs?  There are different types of anti seize so does one need a specific type?

I fall on using a bit, but my vehicles are older.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 06:53:23 PM »
I'll admit to being on the "use anti-seize" side of the debate. I was told many years ago by a trusted professional mechanic (my FIL) that they didn't recommend DIYers use the stuff because they invariably used too much and fouled the plugs in the process -- same goes for O2 sensors. FIL always used a very small smudge of the stuff on all plug installs and applied it with a clean cotton swab. I do the same, and it's always made plug removal on the family fleet pretty uneventful.

That said, my wife's Traverse is coming up for new plugs (100K miles) and I'm dreading that one. It runs great (knock wood), but the original plugs need to go at 100K.
I'm in the same boat with our van. Has the 3.6 pentastar engine. With the known issues this engine has (cam and lifter failures, oil pump failures) I'm being very diligent with maintenance.

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 06:57:12 PM »
When I did the tune up on the van I put anti-seize on the plugs. Then read you shouldn't. Probably due for another tune up in 20,000 miles but I'll have to let the mechanic do it. Hopefully they won't be messed up.
Shouldn't be an issue. The biggest issue the manufacturers have with its use is over tightening. They say you reduce friction and can over torque them.
When did it change and what is the coating on the plugs?  There are different types of anti seize so does one need a specific type?

I fall on using a bit, but my vehicles are older.
It's called Trivalent Coating. I think it all came around when iridium plugs became popular.

Here's from NGK website

"1. Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental."

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 08:24:49 PM »
I've always used never seize on plugs going into aluminum heads. never thought about it on iron head engines. I've used the nickle and copper based never seize on them too, but I've heard your not supposed to use copper based on aluminum heads.

I dont recall ever using a torque wrench on plugs.

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 10:22:32 AM »
Like most things in todays world they have to stupid proof everything on the label to cover their ass.

I use a very small swipe of copper based anti seize on nearly everything I touch on our vehicles. I keep vehicles in our stable for a long time so chances are what ever parts I put on I will touch again someday and road salt is my arch nemesis. My wife has a 2013 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and 153,000 miles. I put a new set of plugs in last fall and the removal of the old ones was a breeze because I had used anti seize the previous service at 80,000 miles. The first time I did this job while removing the factory plugs I was scarred to death I was going to bust the plugs put in from the factory. 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 02:21:49 PM »
Like most things in todays world they have to stupid proof everything on the label to cover their ass.

Lot of truth there

Offline Elroy

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 06:04:34 PM »
Several years ago, Elroy strained his bladder on this very subject

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/antiseize-on-spark-plugs.93382/

Here's the bottom line: don't use copper based on aluminum heads

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 11:10:39 PM »
god damn it elroy!  :33:

i have not posted there in since last year and rarely even click onto that place!  :lol_hitting:
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Elroy

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 05:00:09 PM »
god damn it elroy!  :33:

i have not posted there in since last year and rarely even click onto that place!  :lol_hitting:

Harlan

For your entertainment, How may Elroy hep yoooou?

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/whos-the-professional-here-with-only-one-brand-of-tools-anyone-close.40664/page-2#post-546900

Those were good times. Too bad Bryan and Dylan shower together  :hee20hee20hee:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 05:06:22 PM by Elroy »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 09:23:08 AM »
i got almost to the end and was happy i stayed out of the shit........but there i was.  ::)

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 11:26:30 AM »
Interesting to see that the best people in that thread are "banned" uncle buck, merk, Elroy, spidermangears....

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 05:48:31 PM »
I did not realize that Elroy shared my elite status of being banned from the urinal!  :cool2:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Elroy

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 11:36:02 PM »
I did not realize that Elroy shared my elite status of being banned from the urinal!  :cool2:

Kindly allow Elroy to explain exactly how he feels about that urinal over there.

Elroy considers it a badge of honor to no longer contribute. While Elroy enjoyed his time there and established some solid, long distance friendships. Elroy also...........

That's exactly how Elroy feels about the that

Edited with apologies............You guys shouldn't have to put up with that.  :c023:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 07:04:24 PM by Elroy »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2023, 07:42:46 AM »
as usual, elroy.......quite the graphic explanation. :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2023, 06:09:45 PM »
Me thinks we won't be seeing that movie in the Disney line-up anytime soon!  :lol_hitting:

Offline Elroy

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2023, 07:04:42 PM »
Edited with apologies

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2023, 07:14:27 PM »
Edited with apologies
One should never have to apologise for telling the truth !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2023, 09:42:13 PM »
To quote a famous line, "truth you can't handle the truth" Ah yes the old urinal pitiful and pathetic whiny chumps, the culture of the dumb ass. :welcome:

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline highland512

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 08:40:33 AM »
I was looking at ch 3 the other day.......Most of them guys could save a few minuets and just ask their wifes boyfriend if they should get the tekton or the icon wrench set

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 10:21:03 AM »
as usual, elroy.......quite the graphic explanation. :))

I didn't get to enjoy Elroys original unfiltered post, but I bet I would have enjoyed it a great deal!  :bravo_2:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2023, 11:52:11 PM »
I approve of Elroy's sentiments, and I also approve of his edits.