Author Topic: HF now has an American made ICON tool  (Read 644 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

HF now has an American made ICON tool
« on: May 31, 2023, 09:54:17 AM »
These 7" inline wire strippers, it doesn't show on their website but they're made in the USA.
I believe they're rebranded southwire, or whoever actually makes them if southwire also rebrands them.

It's not a huge step, but it's a start.
I predict that Lang snap ring pliers and WILDE pry bars may not be far behind if this isn't just a special circumstance.
It has me wondering if they'll continue to RIP off Hansen and Ernst products or start rebranding the originals?

Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

Re: HF now has an American made ICON tool
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 12:33:48 PM »
I wouldn't hold your breath. Hobo freight will always use who ever has the lowest cost per unit to protect their bottom line while staying on price point. One of the many reasons why your seeing many more items made in Taiwan and Vietnam instead of chyy-na.   

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 03:11:01 PM »
I wouldn't hold your breath. Hobo freight will always use who ever has the lowest cost per unit to protect their bottom line while staying on price point. One of the many reasons why your seeing many more items made in Taiwan and Vietnam instead of chyy-na.   
Probably.
I don't really care all that much because I can already support every company who'd be making the tools without HF offering them, but it would be nice for them to support American manufacturing more since they have so many locations.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 03:48:39 PM »
Local Northern Tool store has many more US made tools than I’ve seen before. Maybe a trend. That said, most younger folks don’t care that much about US made stuff anymore. They didn’t grow up with that mindset. Here’s hoping that HF follows suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 07:20:36 PM »
Local Northern Tool store has many more US made tools than I’ve seen before. Maybe a trend. That said, most younger folks don’t care that much about US made stuff anymore. They didn’t grow up with that mindset. Here’s hoping that HF follows suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mindset aside it's hard to pick up two of the same tool of different C.O.O and not notice the difference in quality.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 09:33:15 PM »
Rebranded Southwire? What little exposure to Southwire tools I've had has been less than stellar. I thought they were import crap.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 10:31:25 PM »
good to know and they may come in handy at times.

as far as the video. that guy is an idiot. it is not 6/32 and 8/32, it is 6-32 and 8-32 the first number designating screw size and the second threads per inch. i know that you guys know that.

secondly, he cuts the screws wrong. he threaded them in the wrong side, bunging up the threads. the proper way is to thread the screw into the threaded portion so that the cut portion falls away and the thread is straitened or fixed as the screw is removed. he will have a bitch of a time getting it started with those mucked up threads. i assume you guys all knew that as well.

he may have made more mistakes but i quit watching at that point.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 07:21:35 AM »
As many tools as  buy and sell, I have never seen inline strippers like that.  I have a pair of Blue Point auto strippers that strip inline even though they have a pistol grip.  That Icon set would be darn handy at times. Need to get a pair

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 03:40:22 PM »
Southwire sells them as a Romex wire stripper.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 08:39:13 AM »
Business end doesn't look like what I thought.  I was thinking it would have several scalloped notches for different size wire.

I do see that would be great for romex