Author Topic: 1951 Farmall Super A  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Midnitemack

Re: 1951 Farmall Super A
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2023, 07:36:09 PM »
Judging by the M I’m sure the A is going to get done right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2023, 10:28:59 PM »
I always say there's a reason they were sitting in the weeds. However they usually run out great when done right, as this one will be!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline highland512

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2023, 09:05:47 AM »

As nice as these tractors look after they are all painted up I think I will leave this one as is cosmetically. I might cut the paint and see how it looks but it was bought to use and I dont like working these after you put $1,500 worth of paint and time into them.

I always say there's a reason they were sitting in the weeds. However they usually run out great when done right, as this one will be!

The story I got was the feller parked it around 2010 then died shortly after that. Who really knows

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2023, 11:26:37 PM »

As nice as these tractors look after they are all painted up I think I will leave this one as is cosmetically. I might cut the paint and see how it looks but it was bought to use and I dont like working these after you put $1,500 worth of paint and time into them.

The story I got was the feller parked it around 2010 then died shortly after that. Who really knows

Once they are restored, they are a beautiful sight, but  they are reduced to trailer queens, and used for display at tractor shows and pulling floats in parades. Nothing wrong leaving him in his workin clothes, they are still a good choice for many ag chores and jobs.
You could always do a partial restoration painting only the hood, gas tank and fenders and leave the rest as is.

That said,  I enjoy them just as much unrestored and running well and still doing the work they were designed for as I do seeing them fully restored.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 11:32:21 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Rural53

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2023, 12:18:02 AM »
That MD is beautiful.

The British built BMD had a glow plug direct starting engine, not one that started on gasoline and then switched over to diesel like the MD.

As well as British built Farmall tractors, here in New Zealand we also received Australian and German built IH brand tractors.

Photo 1 - British built Super BMD
Photo 2 & 3 - Australian built McCormack Deering AW6
Photo 4 - German built 1952 McCormack Deering Farmall DED-3. They were sold under various IH brands around the world. I suspect they were branded Farmall as it was a familiar name in NZ. DED-3 = D=German, E=standard D=Diesel 3=3 cylinder. They are 20hp

Offline slip knot

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2023, 02:56:21 PM »
My IH784 is a european built tractor. The lucas starting system on it almost makes it unusable in the winter.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2023, 03:38:00 PM »
It’s surprising how many Farmall/ International guys we have got here !!

I can add another couple of tractors to the fold , I have a 454 and a 986 left over from farming days before I rented the farm out .

Offline muddy

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2023, 09:38:16 PM »
That DED3 never made it to the states. I don't know why we never get the fun little diesels(tractors, cars, pickups etc.) you guys get.

Offline Midnitemack

1951 Farmall Super A
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2023, 10:46:01 PM »
That DED3 never made it to the states. I don't know why we never get the fun little diesels(tractors, cars, pickups etc.) you guys get.

But we missed out on the Cub Cadets that are cool and collectable now !!

I remember  my dad saying he never wanted some of tractors of that era….. some of those glow plug engines could be a right PITA

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 10:50:12 PM by Midnitemack »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2023, 06:11:49 AM »
In my late teens/early twenties I collected a few vintage tractors. I had a Farmall Cub with enough parts to build two more and parts to build most of the common implements. I also had an Allis Chambers G project on the go but Dad and I never managed to free the stuck valves in the engine. Unfortunately, when I finished university and got a real job it was five hours away. After my Dad passed away and I moved closer to home I was still two hours away and didn't have room for a project. When my mother sold up the place in the country they all had to be sold.

For a while we looked after a beautifully restored Case DC that belonged to a friend of Dad's who needed a new home for it when the tractor dealer he worked for, and stored it at, went bankrupt. The DC was unusual as it was a single front wheel model.

highland512, if you think G's are pricey, you should try buying the British equivalent, the David Brown 2D. They are a two cylinder diesel with air lift for the tooling. The main frame is the air tank (Muddy, that is another cool little diesel you guys didn't get).

Photo 1 - Case DC with single front wheel
Photo 2 - David Brown 2D

Offline highland512

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2023, 07:53:41 AM »
The David Brown is a neat piece! Definitely a close relative of the G 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 11:11:14 AM by highland512 »

Offline highland512

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2023, 09:50:55 AM »
Update: I wanted to ensure that this thing ran before I put more work into it. Took the carb off and discovered it was a carter carb with parts missing, crap. Luckily I was able to source a nice Zenith from a parts yard. After a good cleaning (the crock pot cleaning idea has been one of the best things I have discovered on the internet!) I hit the starter and this little jew hit a couple times and finally ran on its own. Runs great, came up to temp and makes 40psi of oil pressure. I tried to get the pto to engage but discovered that the clutch is not disengaging, after removing the inspection plates I discovered a mouse house that filled the entire bell housing. Next step will have to be splitting the tractor to most likely replace the clutch.       

Offline Elroy

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2023, 06:49:31 PM »
those tractors are cool  :cool2:

Offline highland512

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2024, 08:07:24 AM »
Split the tractor in two, I dug out two 5 gal buckets pull of mouse house and was able to get the clutch disk removed from the flywheel without damaging the clutch material. Actually, the clutch disk looks nearly new. I had the flywheel ground, replaced the throw out bearing and wire wheeled the hell out of the pressure plate face. Got it back together and everything works!! I also reset the width of the from 42" row spacing to 60"

While I was waiting for some parts to arrive, I also dug into the governor. While I had it running the first time, I noticed it wasn't responsive to the throttle. I removed the housing and found 60 years of gummed up bushings and bearings. I replaced the needle bearings and all the seals and gave all the moving parts a good cleaning and coating of assembly lube. Should have re-assembly of the tractor complete this weekend and plan on draining and filling the transmission and hydraulic system with new lube. Next up will be working with the attached tools. They are in rough shape and need freed up before I put them back on the tractor. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2024, 08:13:37 AM »

Very simple governor system.

Removed 4ea 5/8 bolts and pulled it apart.

Teaching the future that old tractors are fun.