Author Topic: Barkeepers Friend  (Read 8388 times)

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
Barkeepers Friend
« on: September 03, 2018, 07:04:55 PM »
I bought a can of this on recommendation, but I can't seem to get any real results with it.
Any suggestions?
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Barkeepers Friend
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »
The liquid or the powdered cleanser? I use the powder and make a paste of it with a few drops of water and let it sit for a few minutes and then scrub off with a nail brush or a rag. You can do this in a pan or tray or something so you don't loose the stuff. It works well but sometimes you have to put in some energy. I've been working on an old ratchet for a couple months but it was really bad to start. I'll work on it and then get fed up and put it away for a while and then want to finish so out it comes and then get sick of it. In the end I'll have a couple hours or so in it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:55:45 PM »
That's the problem. I won't spend that much time cleaning a wrench.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
It does get tedious. One of the vendors I buy from does a lot of electrolysis but I have never done it.

Is it rust or crud you're wanting to clean?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 09:03:25 PM »
IIRC the oxalic acid in it is what takes the rust off and it needs time to work on the rust. I use it similar to JAFEs method but I use the liquid to wet down the powder kinda a one- two punch. I think the liquid may work better than the powder but it settles out really bad.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 09:08:09 PM »
Mostly rust, but some of the crud, Steve.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 09:29:26 PM »
Slip knot is correct it is the oxalic acid that does the rust in BKF. You could probably let it soak in the solution a while. Or you could soak in vinegar that takes a while but you need to keep checking at some point the acid in the vinegar starts to damage the tool.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
I have had good luck cleaning slightly rusted wrenches with BKF mixing a little water on a sponge with it and giving a quick scrub but I only use it on good wrenches that have good chrome on them.  Leaves them shinning.  If it is more rust then a little, I use WD 40 and steel wool and if its lots of rust, it meets the wire wheel. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »
Barkeepers friend is Elroy's magic go to cleaner for tools!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »

That's how I found it was on his recommendation.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 08:51:33 AM »

That's how I found it was on his recommendation.

Pretty sure that's where I got it too

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »
And to think it was discovered accidentally by a cook!  :D

Offline Elroy

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »
It works really well on aluminum brass and copper

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
BKF works but takes more work than EvapoRust. The ER may leave some black residue but it comes off quickly with a brass brush or BKF. I have found out that some ugly rusty wrenches were actually clean cadmium under the rust.
Here is a sample of ER results.

Offline geneg

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 07:24:45 PM »
It works well on dead paint on emblems or for detailing small areas.  Not as abrasive as rubbing compound & rinses off easily.   Similar to Bon Ami.  I agree with the copper & aluminum, but probably wouldn't go to it for rust removal.

Offline muddy

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 08:24:12 PM »
BKF works but takes more work than EvapoRust. The ER may leave some black residue but it comes off quickly with a brass brush or BKF. I have found out that some ugly rusty wrenches were actually clean cadmium under the rust.
Man I got a pile of 3/4 drive sockets that would do wonders with that ER!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 12:31:58 AM »

It did the job on those Plomb 3/4dr sockets. TSC carries EvapoRust and sometimes the gallons are $5 off. Oh wait, you don't have a TSC close. :(

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 07:15:26 AM »
I thought those were Plomb 3/4s, have a few of them myself

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 07:34:51 AM »
At my age I don't have time to wait on anything!!  :)) I use vinegar and /or a fine or a coarse wire wheel.  I have two motors with wire wheels, the 1/2hp has the fine and the 1hp has the coarse.  I have a special room for this operation with a 24 inch fan in the wall behind the 1hp to take the dirt, rust etc. outside. I mostly use the 1hp and the coarse wheel.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »
DeadNutz

TSC = Tractor supply ? XXX: never mind saw the thread you started, got the answer... have that store 5 miles from me .

Got the EvapoRust a few years ago, recently used it twice. Has done well, most reciently was on a scale for the Starrett square. Had some rust spots making it hard to read.

Popped into a vat of the ER, let it soak for a week or so. Came out black, WD 40 and a Scotch-Brite removed it. Calibration marks were all left in tact, nice and crisp.

Question, the sockets you show like the black finish. Will it remain on them or it wears off with usage?

Pep
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:08:40 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 08:19:39 AM »
Pep, they are actually plain steel no plating from the 30's. I soaked these for about 8 hours in warm ER. The warmer the stuff is the faster it works. I hit them with a brass brush to remove the black but the picture makes them look darker than they are. It will turn steel items like a scale black but it does come off. I was worried about flash rust after rinsing with water after the soak but it doesn't happen.

Offline muddy

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »

It did the job on those Plomb 3/4dr sockets. TSC carries EvapoRust and sometimes the gallons are $5 off. Oh wait, you don't have a TSC close. :(
Closest one is 30-40 minutes.