Author Topic: Two Wheels, One Ticker, and Endless Roads  (Read 1493 times)

Online oldcarguy

Two Wheels, One Ticker, and Endless Roads
« on: December 06, 2023, 11:58:55 AM »
I have been a fan of two wheel transportation for over seventy years. Being from a large family I found my transportation on trash days. A part here and another part there. Assembling them until I had a working bicycle. Starting for pleasure rides up and down local sidewalks. As I got older I'd adventure to a fishing hole hours away. Rain, snow or sleet didn't stop me. And having a paper route since I was twelve made a bike a necessity.
Once I was eighteen I graduated to four wheels. Other than a few years owning a used 1950 Harley pan head. That I sold to purchase a house when I was twenty. But I kept my trusty two wheeler's with peddles..

Being a camper for most of my adult life. Bicycles were always a part of it. However with age my legs could not keep up with peddling. And purchased my first electric assist bicycle fifteen years ago. It was an EG Milan built by EG Bikes. The 350 watt motor in the rear hub, and  36 volt 10 AH battery that slid into the rear rack. Along with 21 Speed Shimano Rear and SIS Front Derailleurs... Pulling my dog in the trailer a single charge range would be 30 miles at best. Traveling with a second battery was a must. All my ebikes have an assist mode level. So you put the same amount of effort on a hill as if you're on level road. If I'm totally bushed, a hand throttle will get me home without peddling...

After ten years and 10,000 miles the batteries gave out. That's what we're about to see soon on EV cars. The manufactures did not make replacements any more. And decided to purchased a newer model. The EG Maui 500MX also built by EG Bikes. Shimano SIS Microshift eight speed sprockets. A 500 Watt rear hub drive with a 16 AH 48 Volt battery.. could easily make 50 miles with 50 pound dog in tow on a single charge. Again I carried a second battery. There times when I'll do a 100 mile trip... This ebike was a cruiser style. Wide handlebars and ride upright. Not leaning forward like the last one. So much better for the old back.

Here's the OldCarGuy on the Spanish Moss Trail in South Carolina

Sadly last December parked in southern Florida some thieves felt they wanted my bicycles more than I. Cutting the locks and took the them off my motor home's bike rack. All the while I was awake and inside. I was alerted by the noise and hit the key fob that flashed the lights and sounded the horn. I was parked with a dozen other RV's around. But I wasn't about to chase after the thieves.. I owned that ebike for four years and had clocked 4,000 miles.. .
April 2023 I purchased my present set of wheels. An EG Maui from EG Bikes. This is what us old timers called a “Ladies” bicycle. And doesn't have a top bar crossing the frame. Though it's not as sturdy of a design. But the step-thru frame is  far easier to mount and dismount. I am not flexible enough to get my leg over the cross bar. And have to tilt the bike halfway over to get on.. Today ladies bike style ebikes outpace men's frame style by ten fold..
The Maui has a 500 Watt mid-drive motor mounted in the crank.. A smaller12.8 AH battery streamlined into the front frame. That gives me a range of 40 miles. Shimano eight speed Derailleur rear axle. Wide handlebars and cruiser style riding posture makes for a comfortable ride. Along with hydraulic front suspensions. I added a spring activated seat post and a Serfas Super Cruiser Saddle Seat that's 13” wide.. Most seats are nothing more than a padded post!

Road trip in Southern Ohio

The OldCarGuy in Sarasota Florida

Baxter Boy, my 13 year on puppy, has trailered behind me over countless miles covering  36 states,, plus Ontario Canada

The biggest high points of this bike is ease of mounting for older riders. The geometry makes this bike handle very well compared to my other two ebikes. The mid drive is the weakest point of the Maui. All the stress is on the chain. Both the pedal power and motor. And if you break a chain you're dead in the water. While the rear hub drive, If you loose one mode, you have the other to return home. Plus you have to shift down to a lower gear to start. The other shortcomings EG does not offer built in brake lights and turn signals. Some ebike's even offer cruise control. An idea I've suggested to EG may years ago...

Picture the way I transport my ebikes in my 1986 Chevy K10 to trail heads that I don't care

« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 12:05:58 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Two Wheels, One Ticker, and Endless Roads
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 01:46:01 PM »
That look like a heck of a lot of fun. Also love the pics of your travel companion OCG.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 06:46:22 PM »
Thats my kind of bicycle. I didn't realize they were getting that kind of mileage off a battery. Very impressive.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 09:40:56 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun. 

I get a bit concerned regarding the Li-ion charging and the possibility of overheat and fire.  Do you regularly monitor them when on the charge?
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 11:12:05 AM »
Indeed I am very aware of the dangers of Lithium Ion Batteries. A small laptop computer caused a fire in my 30' by 50' garage that totally destroyed all tool shop equipment in December 2020. My saving's grace was pointed out by the Fire Marshal. I had built it using 5/8” Fire Rated drywall, steel doors, windows, etc. Consequently the second floor, attached garage and house had ZERO damage!

I rebuilt the shop in two years without any outside contractors. Just the help of one family member. Pictures of my shop today... My insurance company had my back!

What 10,000 pounds of fire rated 4' by 12' sheetrock looks like on my trailer.

Trailer inside, drywall jack, and my trusty 40 year old scissor's lift made the job easy

Finished taped, floor covered, and ready for paint

I no longer use laptop computers. I have 38 Milwaukee power tools. Neatly stored. And the batteries plus my ebikes batteries are always stored in a Fire Rated safe. It will take 2,000 degrees for two hours. A timer sits outside the safe to regulate charging time..

I will not put an electric car in my garage! If what you see a small half pound laptop battery could do. Can you imagine what 1,000 pound plus battery would do? It is my opinion the EV's and batteries do far more damage to our environment that using fossil fuels..  Just Saying...

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 11:25:58 AM »
Absolutely agree guys! No amount of advertising would convince me to ever park an e-vehicle in my garage. At best I'd park it in an open car-port to keep it partially safe from the elements. I've had Li batteries explode, and had a few close calls with faulty low quality charging stations. I can just imagine what an inferno an entire automotive battery sled would produce.  ---- no way!!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 03:50:55 PM »
How many machines did you lose in that fire?

Also, I am thinking you repainted and re-stickered your Mohawk car lift. I remember only ever seeing those as red in color?
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 07:05:16 PM »
The insurance company flew in several experts that spent days tagging everything to determine what could be salvaged and the fair market value of the equipment. These experts concluded nothing could be salvaged. What the fire, heat, along with the fumes didn't do. The fire fighter's water accomplished. A total loss. Including 15 main machines along with tool boxes, cabinets, shelving, tables, precision &  hand tools, and yes the Mohawk Lift was a goner. I didn't wish to dicker with them. As I know that I could bring most of it back. However I'd need another 20 years to accomplish. I took apart the Mohawk, reworked the cylinders, re-chromed the piston rods, and replaced all the seals. And you are correct, factory color was a drab red. But painted it blue to match the color scheme of the shop. I used a Rust-Oleum oil based paint with a hardener. Then applied an automotive clear coated. Same for any cabinets, tables, die trucks, etc.  Even the Graymills parts washer was red,, now blue.. The you ever see a Craftsman roller tool chest that wasn't red? I went to lengths finding blue air hoses & reels, floor mats, etc.. Did I mention that blue is my favorite color?

Three machines that couldn't be replaced. I rebuilt the Kearney Trecker Rotary Head Milling Machine, The G&E Shaper, along with the Deckel Tool and Cutter Grinder. The Rotary Head Mill was my father's favorite machine. I purchased a 1955 newer version 30 years ago. The 1946 model he ran.  The Shaper was the first machine I learned to run when I was 14. Also an obsolete machine that came off a WWII battleship. The Deckle stopped making their Cutter Grinder and only poor quality Chinese crap available today..

I chose to paint them i. OEM gray

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 10:00:47 PM »
Machines are supposed to be gray in my opinion. The blue is a nice choice and great contrast to the gray. Pop use to have a friend with a well equipped shop and did a lot of side work and evening jobs. His prize machine was on old KT that I recall as a twin to yours. I recall he was very proud that he had the cherrying attachment for his machine. To be honest,  I don't recall what the cherrying attachment did, but was quite impressed with his home shop.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 10:02:06 PM »
BTW, that CM box came out beautiful!

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 07:37:01 PM »
There's a lot of Kearney Trecker Rotary Head Mills around. And the Machinists that own them are mostly old timers and treasure them. The Cherrying attachment is rather rare though. Nice that you remember that he owned the attachment. Here's a picture of mine. I have yet to recover it from the fire. Priorities have hindered recovering it.
The Cheerying attachment mounts on the underside of the rotating head.

The link will shows my mill in action. Just taking a light cut showing how it runs.

https://youtube.com/shorts/07f--GiHelY?si=Yf-8RVs_08X3uRjA

The Cherrying attachment moves the spindle depth cut in a relationship of the cross slide movement on the head while rotating the head. The end results is cutting a spherical ball shape into the work piece. It can also make a male spherical shape.  If you run the X axis rather then the rotating the head. You'll get a round longitudinal channel. As if you ran a ball mill in a piece of steel. In plastic injection molds that produce PVC elbows. Both the core can be produced along with the cavity. Picture the elbow, the inside is made from a core, that is pivoted out of the molded part before it is ejected from the mold. 

Anything this attachment will do, Today's CNC can do faster and better.. Hence the Cherrying head is obsolete.

Here's a link to my shaper G&E running. Making a light cut in a piece of 4140 heat treated to 48 RC

https://youtu.be/-IbU4g8cX4A

Link Cherrying on a K&T Mill
https://youtu.be/ypMl2kQTeMo