Author Topic: cosmoline  (Read 7510 times)

Offline strik9

• X
Re: cosmoline
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »
The old car wasn't anywhere near salt water either.  Military stuff was designed to be tough, simple and expendable.    Fine finishes and details to greater water resistance were not part of the specs.  Add in 70 plus years of salt water exposure and constant jungle humidity...   

The guys digging out old European WWII battle sites hunt more for vehicles and human remains with id tags.  Depending on the reason behind the hunt.   After that field gear and personal effects of soldiers.  Very little is found compared to rotted away rifles and bullet cases. 
   The tropical enviorment is far more aggressive at reclaiming a natural state.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
I doubt they would have protected anything before burying. The military was known to leave pretty much everything and burned it, buried it or dumped it overboard so it wouldn't fall into the wrong hands.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »
Another very happy LPS3 user here. A $100 gallon will mothball a lot of equipment.

Greyson

Offline walrus

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
FLuid flim will wash off by direct spray from tires. It stays where it doesn't get blasted . I use on my vehicles in Maine where regular brake lines can leak in 2 years
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 06:09:41 PM by walrus »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »
I found a fairly technical page on cosmoline. From a firearms blog of course.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/01/11/cosmoline-chemistry/