Author Topic: Any cigar smokers on the GG?  (Read 143777 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #720 on: August 13, 2023, 08:31:45 PM »
This is a cigar that has languished in the back of the humidor for a while. I don’t even recall the name since there is no band on it. I think it’s a Rocky Patel Maduro of some kind, but not certain. It’s a pretty mild creamy smoke, but nothing outstanding. That’s probably why it was forgotten in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like the old saying goes "a bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work"

A mediocre smoke while relaxing, is better then a day at the in laws....

Oops did I say that aloud?!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 08:34:04 PM by muddy »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #721 on: August 13, 2023, 08:36:17 PM »
LOL - truer words were never spoken. Perfect analogy Tim!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #722 on: August 15, 2023, 09:42:16 AM »
Continuing to “clean” out the humidor of lonely unmarked cigars. Some unbanded examples I know where they came from and are usually from small boutique shops that roll bundles in house, but others like this example I have no idea where it came from. Could be from a bunch of cigars that were collected at the GREAT SMOKE event in Las Vegas in 2004. Almost 20 years on, this is a pretty good cigar. Light, medium body and a heavy floral/hay profile. Great morning cigar.
I think it’s either a Lonsdale or Corona size.

I’m enjoying it, but it remains a mystery.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 10:01:16 AM by goodfellow »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #723 on: August 16, 2023, 02:58:32 PM »
Joya de Nicaragua Antano - Gran Reserva in box pressed Toro size.

Haven’t had one in a while, and forgot that I even had a few in the humidor. Great thick molasses and baking spice notes. This is a great cigar to smoke any time, but reminds me of fall and Thanksgiving type of flavors.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #724 on: August 17, 2023, 09:52:45 AM »
Don’t buy cigars like this. This is a 64 ring gauge cigar (that means 1-inch diameter) and 7-inches in length. Cigars like this are really not enjoyable. The filler overwhelms the wrapper nuanced flavors and due to their size they burn like firewood. These cigars are popular in some circles, but the consensus is that they are mostly novelty items. No knowledgeable cigar smoker or aficionado will smoke one of these monsters and declare them a good tasting cigar, or a good value. This one has been sitting in the humidor and it will stay there as a lesson in what cigar “overkill” really is.

This cigar arrived in an order by mistake. I never ordered it, but for some reason it was included in my purchase. Someone in the shipping dept. just made a mistake.

BTW - among cigar enthusiasts, these things are condescendingly referred to as “donkey di**s” - for obvious reasons.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #725 on: August 18, 2023, 01:47:24 PM »
Interesting cigar - Graycliff Figurado in size Salomone. A great treat after finishing the weekly lawn cutting.
It has a slight sweet vanilla and black tea flavor. Very good afternoon relaxation.

Offline muddy

« Reply #726 on: August 18, 2023, 10:23:12 PM »
Don’t buy cigars like this. This is a 64 ring gauge cigar (that means 1-inch diameter) and 7-inches in length. Cigars like this are really not enjoyable. The filler overwhelms the wrapper nuanced flavors and due to their size they burn like firewood. These cigars are popular in some circles, but the consensus is that they are mostly novelty items. No knowledgeable cigar smoker or aficionado will smoke one of these monsters and declare them a good tasting cigar, or a good value. This one has been sitting in the humidor and it will stay there as a lesson in what cigar “overkill” really is.

This cigar arrived in an order by mistake. I never ordered it, but for some reason it was included in my purchase. Someone in the shipping dept. just made a mistake.

BTW - among cigar enthusiasts, these things are condescendingly referred to as “donkey di**s” - for obvious reasons.

Same here ray anything much over 52 is basically a waste

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #727 on: August 20, 2023, 05:10:27 PM »
Probably one of the most respected cigars in the industry. Oliva “V” in Robusto. Excellent cigar construction with a bold taste of fresh crusty bread. A real consistent flavor punch on my palate.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #728 on: August 23, 2023, 03:26:37 PM »
This is a great cigar! It is the in-house brand cigar for a Cigar merchant in northern Virginia - Cigartown. It’s called “the Ghost” and this Churchill size is beautifully made and tastes of sweet tobacco and a slight vanilla/molasses note. Excellent desert-like cigar, and definitely one of my favorite flavor profiles of all time.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #729 on: August 24, 2023, 09:52:46 PM »
Lord that is one formidable looking stogie Ray! Surely you don't smoke that entire beast in one setting do you? If so, I am thinking that might be an all day project! 😆
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #730 on: August 25, 2023, 07:37:06 AM »
Lord that is one formidable looking stogie Ray! Surely you don't smoke that entire beast in one setting do you? If so, I am thinking that might be an all day project! 😆

It's a Churchill size and looks large, but the construction is flawless and they burn well. I usually get about two hours (maybe a bit more) of relaxation time out of a Churchill of this caliber. Cigar smoking forces you to actually make the time for the experience to be positive. Smoke it too fast and it becomes to hot and harsh; too slow and it often dies out and forces a hot relight which can negatively affect the overall flavor.

With a cigar of this size, I often enjoy it after lunch or after dinner with an adult beverage while also reading a book of interest. It's amazing how quickly you can calm down and reset your body into "relaxed" mode when enjoying a cigar. Steve Harvey is a passionate cigar aficionado and coined the term "Cigar Yoga", and he's absolutely correct in that assessment. You can't help but relax when enjoying a cigar (or pipe for that matter).

Also, since you asked Herb. I usually don't smoke a cigar that as been sitting idle for a few hours. I just don't like the taste of a cigar that has been previously smoked and relit after several hours. It's never the same flavor, and in most all cases it tastes funky (if that makes sense).

Sorry for the long winded response. Have a great weekend!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #731 on: August 25, 2023, 10:48:34 AM »
While I have not smoked a cigar in decades, I definitely recall them not being something you wanted to light more than once. Or at least that was the impression I was left with back in the day.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #732 on: August 31, 2023, 02:18:53 PM »
Firm box pressed beauty from Oliva. The “G” in size Torpedo. It draws and smells like fresh cut hay, with a very pleasant earthy flavor note. Quite complex flavor profile -

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #733 on: September 01, 2023, 09:41:03 AM »
Sindicato Affinity in Torpedo. Light, airy, with a medium strength and floral bouquet. Haven’t had one in awhile, and forgot how nice of a morning cigar this is. Sweet tobacco and a very slight bit of caramel note on the palate. Works for me, and pairs well with a cappuccino coffee. This was the last one; hence I need to order some more.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #734 on: September 02, 2023, 09:22:09 AM »
This is a perfect example of why size and shape mattes in cigars. I absolutely love the Casa Magna Colorado Churchill cigar. That said, the same cigar in size Robusto or Toro doesn’t have the same taste. They don’t taste as full and rich as the size Churchill. It’s due to the way the tobacco leaves are bundled and stacked and wrapped that makes the difference in taste. The other sizes are good, but to my palate, the Churchill tastes the best.