Poll

Does politics need more moderation  here, or better still, gone?

Yes, please remove politics
3 (9.1%)
Yes, needs improvement, too much leaks into other threads on the site.
0 (0%)
Yes, I think it impacts member participation and even membership here.
2 (6.1%)
No, I think things are just fine as they are
19 (57.6%)
How about making politics viewable only to the members that ask to see it?
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: November 07, 2018, 08:20:54 PM

Author Topic: Share your opinion about politics please  (Read 17117 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Share your opinion about politics please
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
Feedback I am getting indicates that politics is causing a problem here. Members including subtle references to their political leanings into threads, mentions of things like Climate change etc. I will be honest, I have a difficult time even noticing the subtle references myself, but that does not make it right, just makes me blind.

Speaking candidly I have never had an issue with politics myself and will probably never have the patience to police a no politics rule. For my part, I have rhino thick skin where politics is concerned and have little patience for those that are thin skinned about the issue. Enforcement of such a rule will have to fall to others that are sensitive or dialed into the issue. I miss most of what others see as offensive so this is not a task I would be good at dealing with.

If popular opinion is a gag order for politics I will pull the plug on it, but will not spend any time myself chasing it down and enforcing it. That will be up to others, for me, life is too short to spend what precious time I have on something like that.

Here is your chance, if you want it gone then cast your vote and politics will go away. I will do what the majority wants
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline strik9

• X
Re: Share your opinion about politics please
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 10:20:16 PM »
Thank you.  I would not choose to take it from those who must but I certianly do not want to see it drive away others that would be posting tool and garage related material.

I certianly do not want to see it pro or con to either of its ugly backsides.  I come here for friends and shop talk.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 11:03:05 PM »
I don't advocate eliminating it either. It's a section that sees a lot traffic and many like it. Perhaps moving it from the General Category and making a new section for it would sort of subtly give the message politics was not part of the fabric of the site.

I don't think it should be by request - leave it open most want in at some point and people are free to go or not as the mood strikes.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »
I have no problem with politics being involved here. I like to hear people's take on things from different regions.

With regards to
Members including subtle references to their political leanings into threads

Greyson

Offline Rural53

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:28:20 PM »
I agree, partially, with J.A.F.E, move it out of the General Section. I think it should be access by request thought. If you then complain about something you don't like you will get told that you requested access so you knew what you were on for.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 11:57:23 PM »
You asked, so here you go:

Politics, like religion, abortion rights, and the reintroduction of the Gray Wolf, is not a subject that should be discussed on internet discussion forums. It tends to bring out the absolute worst of even the best people, and diminishes the quality and value of the site as a whole.
Moreover, it does drive people off. People like me, who simply choose not to partake in or be exposed to the vitriol and willful ignorance displayed in such discussions. It is (among other reasons) one of the reasons I dropped off Garagejournal.com almost a year ago. It seemed that regardless of Ryan's intolerance for political discussion of any sort, some members insisted on inserting insidious barbs into the most innocuous of threads.

It is, however, in the end, entirely the choice of the site administrators as to whether or not they wish to allow it.
I would submit, if it should be the case that political discussions/arguments/flame wars are to be allowed, there should be a clearly defined boundary: political issues have no place - ever - in any discussion regarding choices of tools or the collecting of tools.

Just my lousy two cents.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »
Openly addressing controversial issues in politics/religion/race are part of who we are as a country. We're lucky we can do so openly because the rest of the so-called "free" world is slowly losing that right. Look at Europe -- you can now get fined or imprisoned for speaking out about unpopular subjects on the Internet. Sweden and France recently fined their citizens for expressing their thoughts on middle eastern immigrant men committing rape, and the rise of Islam in their communities. In England you can't criticize religion because it's now considered "hate speech".

We can discuss these issues openly and respectfully -- it's in our American DNA, and no moderation necessary. We should all opt in to join the politics section, and those that don't want to opt in can "safely" stay out of the fray. 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 07:34:46 AM »
I enjoy the political section, like hearing what others who have similar interests outside of politics have to say on things.  I also believe it does not belong in the general threads. 

Moving the political section is no biggy to me nor is by request only.   

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »
We already have a political section and if the free speech in that section spills into other so be it.

I would hate to hurt someone feelings............. Maybe we need a safe space

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
I have a place or two I go to for politics, and I come here to talk about tools.

I do this as both here and the few political sites I go to have intelligent conversations about things I love and am fairly passionate about. I like the small number of commenters here, as it gives the place a much more intimate feeling. I don't read the politics section here, not because I find it offensive but because this is one of my retreats from that world. That said, I don't think the section is going to hurt this place unless you want to grow it to GJ size.

Another way of saying it is, GJ doesn't have a politics section because that is a massive, commercial site. Lots of members, ads, big traffic. Ryan has to keep a lot of people happy to keep that size of a site going in that manner. Do you want that?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »
I actually HATE politics. But - like I tell my wife - it impacts virtually everything we do. So, I have to get involved in it enough to know the issues and make an informed decision.

I'm probably one of the ones who let it slip about globull warming. Climate change, whatever you want to call it. The ozone depletion line was used to fundamentally change the industry I invested years in mastering, so please forgive me if I get a bit heated about it and mention it. I do try and keep it limited to germane discussions. I hope that my opinion on that topic doesn't alienate any of my friends here. As has been said, this forum is about tools, and that's why I come here - is to talk about tools, see what you guys find, drool over your pics.

I'm glad we have a politics section here, with the warning "if you don't like politics, don't go in here!". Seems fair enough to me.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
UB, I am fine with whatever you decide. If you want limit access that is fine also. I have no problem having a civil discussion about politics as it impacts our lives greatly. I do agree with moving it out of General Discussion to it's own header or section. I do believe having a politics section does result in less snide remarks through the threads. I have seen sites suffer from heavy handed ban hammers wielded by moderators over political comments on sites I use.

This forum does make me feel like I am in my shop or garage BSing with friends. Whether serious talk, crazy talk, sharing or whatever it is a great place.

lostmind

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »
Herb , you just moved politics to the General Discussion.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 02:44:13 PM »
I actually HATE politics. But - like I tell my wife - it impacts virtually everything we do. So, I have to get involved in it enough to know the issues and make an informed decision.

I'm probably one of the ones who let it slip about globull warming. Climate change, whatever you want to call it. The ozone depletion line was used to fundamentally change the industry I invested years in mastering, so please forgive me if I get a bit HEATED about it and mention it.

I see what you did there!  ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 06:20:08 PM »
I'd like to keep it out of the tool boards. However as making a little joke here and there it's whatever, if I don't like what is said I just scroll down past it. It's part of free speech doesn't mean I have to listen to it lolx

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk