Author Topic: Beware of Internet connected appliances --  (Read 9707 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Beware of Internet connected appliances --
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 09:10:08 AM »
We don't do any online banking either.  Don't do automatic payments either normally.  Just set one up for cell phone service from Xfinity because that is the only way they do it but put in on a card that isn't used for anything else.

I'm really leery about giving out the CC number.

Had business insurance through a referred company, for small companies like me they needed a CC to start the account and first payment. After that they would bill me monthly and I could pay by check. But the bills never came - they just kept deducted the fee through the CC every month! Was difficult getting a "live" person on the phone, then after the year was up I figured the contract expired, I wouldn't renew it, and the CC charges would stop.
Nope. Physically drove over there and asked what was the deal - they "automatically renewed"! Canceled the policy siting the business was closing. Hell of alot of nerve these people. Once they have your CC number they don't give a rip.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
My neighbor bought the testosterone pills you see advertised on tv, free month first time.  They required a credit card number and sent him a bottle every month and charged his card.  He had to cancel the card to get it to stop.  Also the pills whacked out his brain, he was quite batty for a while.   

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
That is a very common scam. Some things are very difficult to stop lot's of horror stories about that. Definitely buyer beware.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 08:37:14 PM »
My neighbor bought the testosterone pills you see advertised on tv, free month first time.  They required a credit card number and sent him a bottle every month and charged his card.  He had to cancel the card to get it to stop.  Also the pills whacked out his brain, he was quite batty for a while.

Oh sure I had a friend, bought the testosterone pills :D right up there with a fish story.
Just had to say that ......  :-\

Electronic security is pretty good, just use common sense. I pay all my bills, over the web, write one check . The donation to my church, have one CC, single point of credit line.

Having many and playing CC roulette,  folks can loose track of what's going on. ATM card only use it at the bank to finger tip cash. 

Never would i use a cell phone for any type of $$$ transaction. That to me is like walking around with a bag full of cash. Shouting to the world, look at all the cash I have in this bag. If one loves the cell phone purchases, at least pair it only to a CC, never a bank account

This just happened two days ago, sharing as a teaching moment. 

Get this email; says my apple account  was now locked.

You recently made a request to change or add a new payment method on your Аpрle lD (first name.last name@comcast.net). For your protection, your Аpрle lD is automatically locked.   
Please click the link below to continue using your Аpрle lD. Because someone was trying to get access .

Handy link provided was provided______

Here is what you do anytime you receive a warring that resembles this scenario in any form.

Go straight to the account and try your credentials and login. Most likely you will find that are working, delete email.
Again common sense, if it is convenient to spend your $$$. is it just as convenient to steal it, just the world we live in. Sometimes inconveniences are also protection.

As to the subject:Internet connected appliances ........ what's the point, not really seeing the need. Will not change the way the ice maker works. It will still jam and now a cell phone is annoying you about it also.

Back to thinking about stupid stuff
Pep

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 09:30:02 PM »
Oh, just remembered the city replaced my old analog water meter with one of the newer digital RF models. Now if I don't pay my bill they can shut off my water form the office - no need to send a tech out and risk a confrontation.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 09:49:30 PM »
Oh, just remembered the city replaced my old analog water meter with one of the newer digital RF models. Now if I don't pay my bill they can shut off my water form the office - no need to send a tech out and risk a confrontation.

Those meters also put the meter readers out of work and eliminated the readers vehicles hurting fleet sales.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 07:13:23 AM »

Oh sure I had a friend, bought the testosterone pills :D right up there with a fish story.
Just had to say that ......  :-\

Now that made me laugh :))

Well played!!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 09:06:10 PM »
Don't buy the generic enhancement pills either. just makes your feet bigger. :-\