Author Topic: Caddy took a hit from the snow storm -- updated 12-14  (Read 13055 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Caddy took a hit from the snow storm -- updated 12-14
« on: November 15, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »
I have a car canopy behind the machine shop where I park my DTS and the snow/ice was so heavy weighing in the trees that a big branch broke off and hit and collapsed the canopy, and made a nice dent and scratch in the roof of the car.

Called the insurance company to get it fixed, but just goes to show "Murphy" NEVER takes a day off.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:56:32 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

Re: Caddy took a hit from the snow storm --
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »
Darn GF, and that was the newest addition to the fleet wasn't it?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
Darn GF, and that was the newest addition to the fleet wasn't it?

Yup -- damage to the roof and scratches in the doors and hood. Glad I only have a $250 deductible. If I had to fix it, I'd pay that in materials and paint alone.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 03:11:48 PM »
That is a shame GF. I bet the body shops will be busy after the snow and ice.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
Sorry to hear about that, GF.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »
Sorry to hear this happened to your new baby.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 04:58:22 PM »
Sorry to hear this happened to your new baby.

Thanks Steve -- It's an older car, but it was pretty flawless -- cosmetically speaking. Oh well, I'll let the insurance take care of the paint and body work. No use crying over spilled milk. I'd be more pi$$ed if it had been a new model.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 05:12:34 PM »
Age has nothing to do with it. A really good thing no one was in the way when it happened.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 07:15:58 PM »
What! gonna let the body shop fix it.  :-\  You think they can do as well as you?   

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 07:32:38 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 07:57:14 PM »
What! gonna let the body shop fix it.  :-\  You think they can do as well as you?   

:D :D It's much more convenient -- best time for me to paint and do bodywork is in the early fall because I have no permanent paint booth and garage space for doing dirty bodywork. I usually have to do all the sanding and prep work outside (ironically under the very garage canopy that was crushed this morning). At this time of year it's impossible for me to do any of this. I'll take my chances with the insurance company and the local shops.

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 07:58:29 PM »
I think goodfellow wouldn't have any luck at all if it weren't for bad luck.

Explains why he's such a good body man lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
The claims adjuster just left -- and will develop a cost estimate for the insurance company. They will then cut a check for the estimated repair costs (minus the deductible), and I can get the vehicle repaired at professional shop that they recommend, or choose one of my own. The adjuster also mentioned that an alternative solution would be that I have the option to do some, or all of the repairs myself; because once the insurance company cuts me a check, they have fulfilled their obligations.

Doing a quality paint job and associated prep work in the winter is a taunting proposition. I estimate that the cost would be about $500-&600 for paint and material. The OEM polyurethane mix from my local Sherwin Williams Automotive jobber is pretty pricey.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »
The claims adjuster just left -- and will develop a cost estimate for the insurance company. They will then cut a check for the estimated repair costs (minus the deductible), and I can get the vehicle repaired at professional shop that they recommend, or choose one of my own. The adjuster also mentioned that an alternative solution would be that I have the option to do some, or all of the repairs myself; because once the insurance company cuts me a check, they have fulfilled their obligations.

Doing a quality paint job and associated prep work in the winter is a taunting proposition. I estimate that the cost would be about $500-&600 for paint and material. The OEM polyurethane mix from my local Sherwin Williams Automotive jobber is pretty pricey.

The sticky part of doing the repair yourself as opposed to letting a shop handle it is when you take settlement check it is a done deal and final, whereas if a shop does it if they find anything additional the adjustor might have missed the insurance company will end up covering the additional which they would not if you take the check and do it yourself.

I am sure you already knew this though, my comment is more for others that may not have had to deal with something like this.

With my carrier I never even see the check if a shop does it. The shop is paid direct pending my approval and acceptance of the vehicle after repairs have been made.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:33:04 AM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »
Took the Caddy to the body shop for dent repair and a complete paint job == wish me luck!

I went to a car rental place right across the street from the body and paint facility and wound up with a 2018 Toyota Camry. OMG the thing has a four cylinder engine and an automatic eight speed transmission -- what a joke that is. The thing starts shifting at 5mph and is constantly shifting up/down when in commuter traffic. What an annoying engine/transmission package. To add insult to injury this car has up/down paddle shifters on the steering wheel -- NO BUENO! What the heck is that all about -- manually shifting an already underpowered and annoying sedan with paddles is the LAST thing I want to be doing.

Toyota makes great cars, but this thing would be last on my list of purchase options when looking at a mid-size sedan.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »
Took the Caddy to the body shop for dent repair and a complete paint job == wish me luck!

I went to a car rental place right across the street from the body and paint facility and wound up with a 2018 Toyota Camry. OMG the thing has a four cylinder engine and an automatic eight speed transmission -- what a joke that is. The thing starts shifting at 5mph and is constantly shifting up/down when in commuter traffic. What an annoying engine/transmission package. To add insult to injury this car has up/down paddle shifters on the steering wheel -- NO BUENO! What the heck is that all about -- manually shifting an already underpowered and annoying sedan with paddles is the LAST thing I want to be doing.

Toyota makes great cars, but this thing would be last on my list of purchase options when looking at a mid-size sedan.

It is mind boggling the amenities on cars nowadays. I bet if someone offered an automatic ass wipe option people would buy it. I am much more comfortable shifting the wife's Tribeca in sport mode with the console shift than paddle shifters. It makes going up and down the mountains around here easy and rarely touch the brakes even on a 7% grade. On the flats just leave it in drive.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »
Doing the whole car?  Wow, I hope it comes out sweet.  Did you tell them to use TSC tractor paint :D

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
Well, I picked up the DTS from the paint shop this morning and it looks great. Entire paint and bodywork was excellent. It had a few blemishes when I first bought it, but now this thing is shining like new.

I made sure to bring the guys at the shop lots of donuts over the past week, and they took care of me; great work == lesson learned; Donuts work wonders!

The roof had received the most damage when a tree limb hit my old canopy and crashed on top of the car -- now it's flawless.

It feels like new -- except for the awful smell of off-gasing polyurethane BC/CC which is very present inside the car. A few days in the sun with the windows open will fix that.

Good to go -- for once I came out ahead on this one, because I don't have to fix anything that the shop missed, and that the insurance company didn't cover.

Offline Matt_T

Re: Caddy took a hit from the snow storm -- updated 12-14
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 01:13:25 PM »
Glad you're pleased with the paint job. Was expecting that it wouldn't meet your standards and that you'd wind up re-doing it yourself.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »
Glad you're pleased with the paint job. Was expecting that it wouldn't meet your standards and that you'd wind up re-doing it yourself.

It's a good quality job Matt, and it matches what the factory put on it originally. I could buff and polish it, but what the heck it's only a used car, and a daily driver at that. It's perfect for what the car is intended for -- an old guy ride.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »
Woo hoo, GF be styling and profiling in his Caddy!!

Glad it turned out well, and the donuts were cheap insurance for getting a job well done ;D

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »
Woo hoo, GF be styling and profiling in his Caddy!!

Glad it turned out well, and the donuts were cheap insurance for getting a job well done ;D

Thanks Phil -- yes, I'm glad to have my ride back. Yes, DONUTS are an underground currency in the automotive trades --  :)) :)) :))

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »
Woo hoo, GF be pimping and profiling in his Caddy!!

fixed it   :))

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 03:59:36 PM »

fixed it   :
pimp daddy ray!  O0
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 04:04:06 PM »

fixed it   :
pimp daddy ray!  O0
should we call him pimpfellow now?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 05:46:00 PM »
I can confirm donuts are a universal currency people always appreciate them.

Might not be the best idea for the cardiologists visits though.

You guys are full of good ideas. Pimp daddy, Pimpfellow.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 11:26:33 PM »

fixed it   :
pimp daddy ray!  O0
can't you just see him with his purple velour suit and matching hat with long feather in the brim.......... barry white crankin on the 8 track.8)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:28:21 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 01:24:13 AM »
Something like this?
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 07:45:34 AM »

fixed it   :
pimp daddy ray!  O0
can't you just see him with his purple velour suit and matching hat with long feather in the brim.......... barry white crankin on the 8 track.8)
Something like this?

:) :) :) Well, back in the day I used to like Colt 45 malt liquor. -- drank the "Double Deuce" with my college roommates because it was always on sale at the local store. Maybe that's where I got a taste of the "pimpin'" lifestyle.   O0 O0 O0 O0 . We smoked Swisher Sweets, consumed PBR and Colt45 by the bucket, and still managed to get to class on time.

Ahhh the good ol' days!!!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »

:) :) :) Well, back in the day I used to like Colt 45 malt liquor. -- drank the "Double Deuce" with my college roommates because it was always on sale at the local store. Maybe that's where I got a taste of the "pimpin'" lifestyle.   O0 O0 O0 O0 . We smoked Swisher Sweets, consumed PBR and Colt45 by the bucket, and still managed to get to class on time.

Bet you can't do that anymore >:(

Pimpfellow, I like that :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »

Don't drink much anymore, but am eying my next ride. I'm told a "little old lady" drove it for 40 years to go to church and back.   :)) :)) :))

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 01:24:17 PM »
I have to say that's a good look for you.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 03:03:01 PM »
I have to say that's a good look for you.

Indeed, a manly car for a very manly man! LOL  :))
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline john k

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 03:27:25 PM »
Shouldn't that have some longhorn steer horns on the hood?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
Shouldn't that have some longhorn steer horns on the hood?

Come on man, its got air horns on the front.  You wouldn't want to make it gaudy now would you?? :))

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 04:08:29 PM »

Don't drink much anymore, but am eying my next ride. I'm told a "little old lady" drove it for 40 years to go to church and back.   :)) :)) :))
boss hog's widow ?

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2018, 05:23:29 PM »

GF,

Welcome to the world of fuel economy according to Toyota.  I'm sure other OEM's do the same, but Toyota has definitely learned how to manage fuel economy by way of the ECM and TCM.  Only one rule... get the car in overdrive ASAP.

My daily driver is a 2003 Tacoma with a 2.4L 4 cylinder and a 4-speed overdrive auto trans.  This truck is typically in overdrive by 30mph unless I manually shift it into each gear L-D, and manually engage the overdrive.  To be fair, this buys me 25mpg in heavy city driving and about 28mpg on the open road.

I've learned to live with it's foibles.       
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.