Author Topic: every time I watch one of these...  (Read 968 times)

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
every time I watch one of these...
« on: July 03, 2023, 09:41:00 AM »
I think the sloppy stuff I do isn't soo bad.

Rich

Offline muddy

Re: every time I watch one of these...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 11:31:03 AM »
Yeah it's amazing what they do Alot of it is "ingenious" however it'll never last. They usually create more problems then solutions. Not to mention most of this stuff is poor quality manufactured to begin with.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 09:17:50 PM »
'Hand built'!  :lol_hitting:
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline Rural53

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 06:12:44 AM »
I like how they use the lathe as a line boring set up. As for how long it will last, I would say it was probably still running, sort of, with that much play in the cam, so it will probably run with that repair for a good while.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 08:15:53 AM »
3rd world know how. You got to love their resourcefulness. Get it done.

We’ve really gotten spoiled to having things available to us here. Y’all should see some of the things the illegals come up with. They’ll work half a day just to keep from using a $10 part   Some of the issue id that they never knew that was available

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 01:37:38 PM »
These folks are very innovative, but their entire maintenance industry is setup to put "band-aids" on most every repair. It starts with beefing up truck frames, suspension springs and axle housing to haul 5-10x the OEM suggested loads, and in so doing things break constantly. Given that most commercial equipment owners don't have any ready cash. the entire repair/maintenance infrastructure responds to just "good enough" repairs to meet a specific (aka --- as cheap as possible) price point. They put band-aids on band-aids several times over, and always in the same manner. -- fix it, but just good enough for the short term.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 08:23:39 PM »
These folks are very innovative, but their entire maintenance industry is setup to put "band-aids" on most every repair. It starts with beefing up truck frames, suspension springs and axle housing to haul 5-10x the OEM suggested loads, and in so doing things break constantly. Given that most commercial equipment owners don't have any ready cash. the entire repair/maintenance infrastructure responds to just "good enough" repairs to meet a specific (aka --- as cheap as possible) price point. They put band-aids on band-aids several times over, and always in the same manner. -- fix it, but just good enough for the short term.
Alot of the repairs remind me of repairs we see on farm equipment during the depression era.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 09:10:54 PM »
Alot of the repairs remind me of repairs we see on farm equipment during the depression era.

Good point!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 11:17:54 AM »
Met a mechanic from Chad, one of the poorest nations in the world.  He said we have no idea how lucky we are.  He said back home, no parts were available, you fixed what you had.  He said here, you need a starter or alternator, its a phone call away. In Chad, there were none so you had to fix them.

There is a lot of truth to the saying, first world problems.  We truly need to be thankful for all we have instead of complaining about having to wait a day or two to get a part.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2023, 04:53:33 PM »
Rich

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2023, 09:34:24 PM »
These videos are memorizing. They're almost like a train wreck you just sit and watch them even though you know the end result won't be good.