Author Topic: An interesting file test  (Read 2126 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

An interesting file test
« on: November 23, 2021, 08:50:43 PM »
I've always been told " only run a file forward or you'll dull it ", maybe that's not as true as people think ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

Re: An interesting file test
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 08:52:20 AM »
Interesting test but did he cover the variables? What was the file and coupon temperature difference between the two techniques? Was the coupon pressure into the file the exact same on every stroke? Nobody cleans the file after every stroke. He used some of the best files out there but did say he would use different brands in a future test. I would like to know the results with the most common files people own.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 01:40:24 PM »
I really don't care what the results were. If I caught somebody "sawing" with one of my files, I'd kick them straight out of the shop.  :021:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 02:53:45 PM »
I really don't care what the results were. If I caught somebody "sawing" with one of my files, I'd kick them straight out of the shop.  :021:
Yeah I still wont be sawing with mine, not that I really take that good of care of my files, but that's one thing I won't do.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 04:38:35 PM »
Let's give that guy a hunk of metal and a file and see if he can pass the old time test of making a perfect cube with his technique.
To me sawing with a file is the same as dragging saw teeth on the backstroke.
Another bad one is using high pressure air to blow chips off of machines.  :38:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 06:40:25 PM »
I got a whole box of files collecting dust. Just dont have much use for them anymore. I will use the chainsaw files and thread files. everything else gets a fine flap disc.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 07:40:07 AM »
everything else gets a fine flap disc.

Ah, something I never thought of. Thanks for the tip

Don't file much anyway and use bench grinder brush and stone often but always nice to have another arrow in the quiver

Once I learned not to back drag a file (way to late) I have only used them in one direction with dar better results

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 08:40:42 AM »
I keep a set of “junk” files in a drawer for the express purpose of cleaning rust and corrosion off of parts. I use those files intentionally with abuse in mind because in some situations you just can’t use proper technique; you have to backstroke and saw with it in some applications. The good files are kept in sleeves and are properly separated in their own drawer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 03:08:09 PM »
I got a whole box of files collecting dust. Just dont have much use for them anymore. I will use the chainsaw files and thread files. everything else gets a fine flap disc.
Yep I use the soft grit cookies on a right angle die grinder.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline ssdave

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 12:13:29 AM »
When I was an apprentice goldsmith, the master caught me back dragging the file.  He asked me why I did it, and I told him it somehow made it cut smoother.  Wear, on gold, isn't a factor on back dragging because of the metal softness.  He told me that I would file faster, more precisely, and more uniformly if I would just learn to file correctly.  He showed me how, and I learned, to cut with every stroke deliberately, feeling and seeing how the metal is cutting with the file.  He was right.  I can file several times as fast, and much more precisely than someone that saws at the work.  It did take some learning, and a lot of observation to get a feel for what works. 

So, I don't backdrag now, except in a hard to access situation that makes it necessary.  But, I never have noticed a file getting dull backdragging.  Only from hitting concrete, stone, or sharp edged, hard steel.  I also don't think storing files together in a drawer hurts them, but I still keep them one layer deep, side by side, carefully spaced in my user drawers.