Author Topic: Old Tool Ads  (Read 3303 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: Old Tool Ads
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2024, 08:48:35 PM »
A few bucks a week..... For the next 2000 weeks

Was there a big difference in price for snap on compared to the others as it is today?

pic hosting

Yeah you paid a premium for Snap On. But they offered a big variety of specialty tools that you needed to complete certain jobs and they would finance it for you so you could complete the job without paying 100% out of pocket for the tooling. I never bought sets off the trucks unless they were really marked down. I mostly got specialty tools.
When the 6.2 GM diesel came out it crapped out head gaskets regularly. The headbolts were 18MM. I think I paid $20 for that one socket off the Snappy truck but they had it.

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Old Tool Ads
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2024, 10:49:26 PM »
I love truck brand tools. I have a few sets I did buy new when I was younger and single. Most, I bought either used, or in pawn shops. Buying off the truck works great for guys on their routes. However,  if you just a home wrench, getting warranty from SO in particular not so hot. In fact, worse than any other brand I ever needed to turn in broken.  With a couple of exceptions that happened with Sears during those last years as they were dieing, the use to be about the best. SK was equally good and so was Proto. The very best warranty service I ever got was with the specialty tool company Lisle.

The worst experience was with SO years ago when I had my pop turn in a 1/2" drive flex head I had bought new and SO actually charged him something like $10-15 to warranty the tool! Man, you don't forget it when you get screwed like that, even for a small amount. It was just the principle of the thing you know.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!