Author Topic: Just another window regulator and motor.  (Read 712 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Just another window regulator and motor.
« on: September 29, 2023, 06:04:57 PM »
I think I’ve replaced two other window regulators in our family and friends cars over the last few years. This one went into my daughters ‘05 Highlander. Not hard at all, and there are plenty of youTube vids on how to do it, but this one was interesting.
The motor worked ok until it got hot, then it quit. Let it cool down and it worked again - not a typical issue. They either work, or are usually shorted.

Turns out that the end bushing on the housing was rusted and corroded. It made the motor get hot when it was energized and it seized. Once the motor cooled, the motor worked again.

I replaced it with an aftermarket unit from NAPA, but will hone the bushing and shaft, and keep it as a spare.

BTW - rubber door stops make great window  wedges when removing a regulator, and a wood clamp keeps the dome light off while working with the door open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 08:40:10 PM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

Re: Just another window regulator and motor.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 06:45:26 AM »
Great idea on the door stops!!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 09:31:42 AM »
Good repair!

I HATE power window motors! :41:

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 09:35:03 AM »
Plus one on the doorstop use and clamps!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 09:37:48 AM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 09:40:51 AM »
Good repair!

I HATE power window motors! :41:

I like them myself.  The motors are not usually too tough to replace and I love the convenience.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 11:20:37 AM »
Toyota makes good window regulators. The Toyota OEM electronics are always superior to many other automobile manufacturers. Almost all components are made in JAPAN - vs. GM, Ford, or Chrysler who often cheap out with Mexican, or Chinese components. The days of US AC/Delco or Autolite are mostly gone.

That said, I needed a new unit ASAP, and NAPA had one in stock - aftermarket of course, but what can you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 09:53:56 PM »
Nice work as always Ray!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline Elroy

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 06:14:40 PM »
welcome to the club. especially a gm. those oem regulators are junk. Elroy has done just a few of those. aftermarket is the way to go. :party0036:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 06:18:59 PM »
I've worked on all four of the wife's Buick windows. Actually just disabled both the rear windows and blocked then closed with a bolt an 2X4. We almost never have passengers back there, and replacing multiple gear drives on a rotating basis fumes me. Luckily the van is crank windows! :great:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 07:37:11 AM »
My middle son bought a 93 Jetta years ago that only had one working window.  Luckily, neighbor has a body shop and had some junk Jettas.  We converted the rears to manual crank and bought one motor for the front.  Wasn't a bad job at all

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 06:28:01 PM »
I've replaced each of the front door regulator assemblies in my 2005 F150, the driver's side twice.  All from failed nylon/plastic pulleys.

Just replaced the driver's side in my daughter's boyfriend's Nissan Armada, it was one of those situations where the motor worked but would not carry the weight of the glass so it was replaced with a complete Dorman assembly.  These have a lifetime warranty.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline john k

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 09:44:27 PM »
Windows and such.  This week we pulled my dad's 58 Chevy Apache 1/2 ton up to the garage.  Been sitting, well.,,, decades.  The cracked side windows have broken to nearly no windows.  Had a pair of 61 doors with good glass, that I was gifted,,,well,,,dec ades ago.  Fighting stuck screws, stuck window regulators, using lots of penetrant, finally got the glass going up and down.   Laid the 61 door glass over the 58, nope, about 14 cents difference.  Eyeballing them, they had to be the same, right.   Well had to order new felt guides, anyhow, and it is only money, right?  But the 65 year old crank lifts still work!