Author Topic: Question for the wrench benders.  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Question for the wrench benders.
« on: November 10, 2023, 11:56:24 AM »
In 2021 I had literally every steering and suspension part replaced in my daughter's 2000 Ford Mustang.  This was a job that prior to 2019 ( my bad year) I would have done myself, but in 2021 farmed out to good mechanic friend that works on the side.

Traditionally I always use Moog for my front end parts. This time I did not. I only did that because my daughter swore up and down she was selling the car after I had the frontend straightened out. Well, part of the lesser brand parts I used were the lower ball joints which are AC Delco brand. Sadly, those were sealed BJ and not grease zert equipped. 

Fast forward to 2023. The car she swore she was selling she finally got around to. The front end squeaks and squawks something awful. I took it for frontend alignment knowing some part previously replaced was likely shot. I asked them to find the squeaks. In short order they reported back that it was lower ball joints. No way could the cost of replacing them be recouped in selling the car. So, I had them re-align as best they could. End result being it drives and steers decent.

Now, here is my plan to loose the squeaking ball joints. I plan to drill holes in the center of each BJ  where they are usually found. Next poke a small diameter magnet in the holes to capture any stray shavings. Tap holes, then repeat magnet fishing followed by inserting zerks, then greasing the BJ in the hope of eliminating the squeaks.

So, there you have it. Has any of you ever done this? I think I once recall my dad doing that decades ago when times were tough. Only time I ever bought a frontend part that was not grease zerk equipped thinking the car was going away and it has ended up biting me in the ass. I figure as bad as the thing sounds I have little risk of making things worse as long as I am careful with the drilling, tapping and chip retrieval.

So, please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas about my plan.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline slip knot

Re: Question for the wrench benders.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 03:02:41 PM »
If it makes you feel better, Just about all front end parts sold now are ungreasable. and even the greaseable ones wont last like the OEM did. 

As far as the drilling and tapping, I dont think it will hurt them to do what you want to do. Other than some labor, what do you have to lose? they've got to be replaced now to stop the squeak. if grease stops the squeak then your ahead.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 04:21:36 PM »
Can’t say I’ve ever done it, but invariable you’ll drill into the hardened ball joint itself using a conventional bit. Worth a try I guess Herb - what have you got to loose.

As an aside, are you sure it’s ball joints? …. Those years the Mustangs had really squeaky control arm bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 06:48:05 PM »
I cannot say with authority it has to be LBJ. I am taking the word of the alignment tech at Big O tires. I have never used them before and only did this time because of the discount I get due to my son working there. UCAB were also new in 2021 I don't recall the brand, possibly Moog. I know some of the parts I bought were Moog. I  wonder if a needle attachment for a grease gun might allow me to pump a few squirts of grease where the CAB are? Whatever I do has to be on the cheap to allow for greatest ROI for a car that is not worth alot under best circumstances. Sort of putting lipstick on a pig to help sell the car. It might help the sale if it isn't squeaking like he'll when it is sold. Regardless what I do I will share entire history on the car that I am aware of including what I do to reduce/eliminate the squeaks.
Carma is a bitch and an old car worth only a couple of thousand at best is not worth screwing someone over. Any car I have ever sold the buyer always knew everything I did before I sold the car and this one will be no different. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 06:52:18 PM »
Can’t say I’ve ever done it, but invariable you’ll drill into the hardened ball joint itself using a conventional bit. Worth a try I guess Herb - what have you got to loose.

As an aside, are you sure it’s ball joints? …. Those years the Mustangs had really squeaky control arm bushings.

Any ideas on a type of bit I would not risk drilling into the ball with GF? I just might have such an animal. There is a crap ton of offbeat tools and equipment  in that garage! 🤣

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 06:53:23 PM »
Why not just lift the boots off the ball joints a tad and douse the entire exposed joint in spray lubricant. Work it in a bit and let it soak and see if the squeak goes away. It's a temporary solution at best, but at the very least you'll know you're on the right track.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 07:00:58 PM »

Any ideas on a type of bit I would not risk drilling into the ball with GF? I just might have such an animal. There is a crap ton of offbeat tools and equipment  in that garage! 🤣

One solution would be to start with a regular 118 degree bit and finish with a bit that has a less pointed angle (135 degrees) so it won't over penetrate. Best solution would be to use small end mill (which is flat) for those last few thousandth when breaking through the inner wall of the housing.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 07:35:56 PM »
I love the idea of finishing with a small end mill! I had not considered that and have many different sizes, all USA made that originally came from industry at my disposal so I will absolutely incorporate that into my plan. I also like the boot idea. Great plan to confirm the LBJ is for sure the issue before going further down that path.

Thanks so much GF!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 07:38:20 PM »
It may take a week or so to make this happen, but when I do it I will report back on my results.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 07:41:32 PM »
Best of luck Herb!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 09:24:12 PM »

Was thinking the same.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 11:33:07 PM »
If it were me, I'd just leave it considering the price point of the vehicle.  Let the purchaser decide how they want to deal with the issue.  It shouldn't affect the value of the vehicle at this point.

If it seems like nobody is biting on it, or want it majorly discounted then I'd consider doing the work to aid in the sale but usually I've found things sell just find despite my opinion of the car's deficiencies.

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 11:37:03 PM »
I'm kinda with Ray here. I'd double check that it's actually the ball joints.

In my mind a ball joint shouldn't squeak. They usually bang or pop.

I'd be more suspicious of control arm bushings or sway bar bushings. Something like that, a rubber in metal sound.

You could try one of these. Try to get in behind the boot and pump a bunch of grease in. I'd give that a shot before drilling it.

https://www.autozone.com/grease-and-caulk-application-tools/grease-gun/p/performance-tool-grease-injector-needle/293490_0_0?spps.s=2400&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:19502231967&&CATARGETID=120054150001287483&CADevice=m&gclid=CjwKCAiAxreqBhAxEiwAfGfndIUgY_lw-T0A4cJXfp6pxvy_uXs8r1kjj0LDHgiRyylSWBASfhXsZBoClZkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2023, 09:57:58 PM »
Well, turns out I will not be doing anything more to improve the car to sell it. My daughter got a bug up her ass to unload the car ASAP at the expense of whatever better price it might fetch by doing a few small low, or no cost improvements.  It's her car to give away. Ya, I am a little salty about it. She won't even take the trouble to vacuum the damned thing out. Some folks ya can't teach a thing.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2023, 06:25:41 AM »
Well, turns out I will not be doing anything more to improve the car to sell it. My daughter got a bug up her ass to unload the car ASAP at the expense of whatever better price it might fetch by doing a few small low, or no cost improvements.  It's her car to give away. Ya, I am a little salty about it. She won't even take the trouble to vacuum the damned thing out. Some folks ya can't teach a thing.

Sorry to hear that Herb. As you said, it's her car to with as she pleases. All we can do as old gear head dads is offer advice and help when they need/want it. The economic realities of long term car ownership will hit sooner or later. I know they did for my daughter --

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2023, 09:26:49 AM »

It always kills me when I see a vehicle for sale and there's garbage all over the interior.  It would take a half hour at most to make a car look a lot more respectable for sale and justify the price that's being asked.  :o
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 01:25:14 PM »

It always kills me when I see a vehicle for sale and there's garbage all over the interior.  It would take a half hour at most to make a car look a lot more respectable for sale and justify the price that's being asked.  :o
Heck yes! My mother sold her 1971 Pinto to a young couple back in 1976. She was horrified to find some neglected candy wrappers under the rear seat when the couple inspected it. She was so embarrassed that she paid for their dinner that evening. Old school mom - old school ways!!

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2023, 07:42:10 PM »
Thank the good Lord some others here get what I am saying!