Author Topic: Modernizing the Makita 9.6 volt tools  (Read 717 times)

Offline bonneyman

Modernizing the Makita 9.6 volt tools
« on: February 27, 2024, 06:45:06 PM »
Per the request for new topics, I thought I'd do a series on "modernizing" the old Makita 9.6 volt cordless tools. The "stick" batteries are long and thin, and the tools handles are also long and thin. Love them or hate them, they were what they were. At the time I never felt they were underpowered, and they always did what I needed them to do. But looking at them now, they lack some features that are considered standard today. So I thought I'd try and upgrade the old gals and make them more versatile.

I have several drills, flashlights, and an impact wrench. Being fully committed to the platform I'd like to be able to make the tools more modern. I will be attempting to add or modify some accessories to the various tools, trying not to cut into the tools themselves. I'm shooting for add-ons that can be removed later if so desired. We'll see what I can do.

Check back - undoubtedly I'll weird things out a bit!

Here's some of the tools I'm working on.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Modernizing the Makita 9.6 volt tools
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 09:04:00 PM »
I was just watching the 1994 action thriller Blown Away starring Jeff Bridges Tommy Lee Jones and Forrest Whitaker.
In the MIT scene Jeff uses a mini 9.6v circular saw to cut open the bottom of the computer desk so he can disarm the bomb.
I never knew there were any kind of cordless circular saws being made 30 years ago.

I'm all in on the current Ryobi one+ line and don't have the skill / know how to repair the batteries on these old Makita's but I have always thought the 9.6v line was definitely cool.
Honestly I don't think I've ever seen another cordless tool but the Makita 9.6 in any movies from the mid 80's-90's, and I assume that's probably because they were basically the industry standard for set construction crews and any time a tool was needed for a scene they'd just borrow one.

I appreciate your dedication to these tools and look forward to seeing the modifications you perform.

If that light takes a regular incandescent bulb, you should check out LITT industries.
They make an LED upgrade bulb intended for Maglites ( they replace any standard incan bulb though ) and it's much brighter than the typical cheap Nite-ize upgrade bulb.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 09:06:54 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 09:13:29 PM »
Yeah, 10-4, I did look into upgrading my flashlights to LED bulbs a few years ago but I got a deal on the stock Makita incans and they are nice and bright. Most of my lights came with 2 bulbs - the one in use and a spare one in the inside holder. Nice deal!

You'd be surprised how many different tools Makita offered in 9.6 volts. I'm trying to grab as many as I can use.

I used my one drill twice this weekend fixing a loose fence support and installing a new license plate. Alot easier on the wrist I must say!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 02:06:15 PM by bonneyman »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 09:41:38 AM »
Electric tools? Bah humbug! Clearly a passing fad.

Where's my speeder anyway? Where did I put down my carbide lamp?

:-[

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 06:20:16 PM »
Electric tools? Bah humbug! Clearly a passing fad.

Where's my speeder anyway? Where did I put down my carbide lamp?

:-[
I still love speeders because I just don't need anything else.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 08:49:05 PM »
OK, my first modernization was more an act of desperation rather than need.

When I bought my first Makita drill, I didn't know thtat they had other tools available in that style. Some years ago I discovered they made flashlights. Both pivot head and fixed. I snagged them for cheap, but didn't at that time have any good batteries or chargers. So I set about modifying the fixed light (an ML 900) to run off of 9v transistor batteries. Figured the light was so nice and had good features it would be worth having if it functioned.

I bought about a dozen 9v plug-in harness' and soldered 4 of them in parallel to the contacts inside the light handle. There was just enough room to slide 4 batteries into the handle, so plugged the harness' on and slide the whole kit and kaboodle in there. I probably could have made another pair of batteries it but removing the last pair to swap them out when dead would have been a bit tough. maybe a dental pick would have worked? Anyway four batteries were enough to test the concept. Worked great! That light got carried around in one of the cars - perfect for changing a tire or just finding your keys.
Now that I have actual 9000 Makita sticks this light will be relegated to storage. Good to keep as if times get tough I can always find some 9v transistor batteries lying around to run a flashlight.

Over the years this flashlight has had all my homemade parts, damaged pieces, and repairs done to it. So, it will make a good test bed for my new thread. Oh, the switch went bad so had to replace it with a toggle switch I had in a junk bin. Can  hardly tell it's not OEM!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 08:52:34 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 05:38:31 PM »
OK, first up: a 7.2 volt angle drill. (The following description applies to all the 9.6 volt drills and impact as well. At least those versions I have).
Most all of the new impact drivers and wrenches have a carry hook. Some metal clip attached upside down to the battery pack that allows the unit to be hooked on a waistband or belt and carried. I first saw these in 2018 when working temp at a HVAC company. Everyone carried an 18 volt impact, and carried them on their backside when climbing ladders, etc.
The 9.6 volt Makita's don't have such hooks. They originally came in a metal box, later in plastic boxes. I do remember leather holsters available to carry them on your waist, and my Bucket Boss nylon bucket sleeve has a slot for a cordless drill. So I figure adding a carry hook or belt clip might be the first upgrade to do on one.

All of the drills I've seen (not the flashlights, though) have this hole in the bottom of the handle. 3/16" diameter. I never knew what it was for. If anyone is aware of it's purpose, please let me know.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 05:45:00 PM »
I did a fair mount of work hanging off of a ladder, and being able to have the Makita drill handy was a real plus. I fashioned a carry hook out of a piece of stiff wire that was bent in such a way as to allow me to hang the drill off of my jeans pocket. I made it long enough where it couldn't fall out, would let the drill gently swing while climbing and descending, and yet the drill was within easy reach. I "remade" my original wire hook the other day trying to duplicate it from memory.
Here it is installed and in use. Not an exact match, but close enough to my original one that you get the idea. I need to figure a way to attach it to the handle so it can't just pull out. When deployed it's not too obtrusive, and when stored it doesn't interfere with the hand grip.

Of course, the young lad I was didn't think far enough ahead to realize the thing would tear the pants pocket with all that stress right there. But my jeans didn't last long anyway, so, nothing lost.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 05:46:58 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 05:59:45 PM »
For the flashlights, Makita made some snap-on covers for the front out of soft red plastic. Apparently one could use the light with that red cover on to flag down some help in an emergency. I've never used them that way, instead using them as protection for the front lens and preventing scratches.
Still available from on-line supply houses (known as signal caps) for the straight head light, I think I'll try and find similar covers off of sour cream containers and tubes of Pringles chips and make my own covers.  With parts becoming NLA protecting the lens on the front becomes an important issue. The two sizes needed for the 9.6v lights are 2 5/8" (pivot head) and 3 1/4" (straight head).

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/signal-cap-p-12802.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:06:34 PM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 08:16:17 PM »
i can't say for sure but my guess would be a lanyard hole. either thread one end of a lace through and make a loop and a knot or thread both ends through the hole and making a knot leaving a loop on one side.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 08:39:42 PM »
Good guess, Harlan! Might could be.

That reminded me of another little jig I rigged up for when I took my drill to a temp job in 2018. A cotter pin, key loop, and belt spring clip thru that same hole. Might go to Ace and get some thicker cotter pins but for the lighter tools this idea might be the best.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 04:15:20 PM »
I seem to recall that was where the chuck key was stored?

Offline geneg

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 05:32:01 PM »
On most of them, the chuck key was on the top of the drill in a spring clip recess.  Never lost the key out of them!  It was a good system- so good that the last 9.6 drill/driver that I bought new had a keyless chuck, but the recess for the key was still there. 

BTW it was in a plastic blow molded case with the advanced charger.  My earlier ones came in the steel toolboxes.

All this Makita talk is going to make me go out to revisit my stash. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 06:06:21 PM »
Well, hopefully some of the ideas I come up with will help you keep those oldies in use!   :93:

P.S. I have 1 metal case, 3 plastic drill cases with tool and chargers, and a larger plastic case I modified to hold a pivot flashlight and an angle drill. Since the chargers are NLA I try and grab any good ones I find.
I'm thinking about converting an old violin case into a carry case for a pair of saws. Once I get a recip saw.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 08:12:15 PM by bonneyman »

Offline geneg

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 09:29:11 PM »
The recip is the one tool I never got from Makita.  I remember wanting one, but thought they were expensive.   Instead I did consume one & then buy another 3-3/8" circular saw.  Long before oscillating tools for cutting in elect. boxes & even trim work. 

The clutch system in the 9.6v drill/driver was far ahead of anything else available at the time.