Author Topic: Oh yeah, I was fooled by a 16oz'er. But I'm ok with it  (Read 2151 times)

Offline oldnslo

Oh yeah, I was fooled by a 16oz'er. But I'm ok with it
« on: March 07, 2021, 08:53:14 AM »
While closing the deal on a tool box (fishing box) that I DIDN'T need, out came the other items for sale by the seller (who buys storage units). Some nice vintage, and yet not rusty items that I mostly passed on, but there was a nice 16z claw hammer, with the octa face, and somewhat octa handle that matches my go-to Stanley at home. Not needing two, I threw it in to the pile of (hey, lets make a package deal) on this other stuff and left with a heavy tool box.

The head was a tiny bit loose, and was epoxied over (which I though strange) on the top, and this morning as I was pulling the head off to give it the tidy'ing up it needed, I was also removing the very light PO engraving on the side of the head.

There it WAS! Under the patina, but not deeply stamped....THAT word! Right next to 16oz. The C country of origin! Uhhh...and to think I was putting that time and effort into freshening up a vintage Stanley, with the beautiful patina'd  lacquer wood finish.

Oh well, it doesn't say China now, but because the curved nail puller portion it was a bit different than my Stanley, it will make a nice compliment to the user collection.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Oh yeah, I was fooled by a 16oz'er. But I'm ok with it
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 02:51:25 PM »
My first thought would have probably been Plumb Anchor or Bellknap bluegrass with the octagonal face and handle.
Too bad it was a junker, I've never seen one like this made in China.

Cool old box BTW.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 03:11:36 PM »
It took me awhile to finish this up, both of the big box stores were out of fiberglass resin, but after mixing up a very small batch the head is now re-affixed.

That definitely will be my go-to remedy for affixing hammer heads, even when they do have wedges (this one didnt) to get that extra margin of safety. Just a dab of fiberglass resin between the head and handle.

Imposter hammer on the left, Stanley on the right. Life is now back to a dull roar.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 03:14:22 PM by oldnslo »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 10:26:58 PM »
Whatever works I guess.

Personally i absolutely can't stand the resin for a tool handle hang, it's not as good as a traditional hang done right and is just more trouble down the line when you need to replace the handle.
I prefer a properly sized wedge, about 1/8" of handle protrusion, and 2 step wedges.

I just have my preferences I suppose,  if this worke for you and you like it then who am I to argue.

Always lookin' to learn