Author Topic: Model Train layout  (Read 19221 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Model Train layout
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2023, 11:20:36 AM »
Good-looking structure, how is the coal delivered, plastic or wood kit?
Laser cut wood. A little bit to the imagination but it'll be dumped into a pit and the elevatored up and out.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2023, 08:24:20 AM »
Laser cut wood. A little bit to the imagination but it'll be dumped into a pit and the elevatored up and out.

Good one looks used already, todays wood laser cut kits are the BOMB, worth every penny.

The drive in model sent, will be a real cool addition, especially with the sign, I think those LEDs are chase lighting.

If you have not thought of it, yet, you can air brush the tracks, to weather.  Shoot & wipe the top of the rails with lacquer thinner, right after it is spraided.

When paint has dried, take a track cleaner eraser, clean the residue off the rail tops.

Heck the kids can spray the rail to make them look weathered, great training, cause its freelance.

You have made the right choice sticking with the atlas track, first layout I built ran way better with that track. ..... the best.

If Atlas makes live frog turn outs, recommend spending the extra for them. Especially for the yards or any areas that rolling stock will be shuffled around. Engines can creep without stalling on the insulated frogs.

OK enough  babbling for now

Rock on

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2023, 09:09:13 AM »

Good one looks used already, todays wood laser cut kits are the BOMB, worth every penny.

The drive in model sent, will be a real cool addition, especially with the sign, I think those LEDs are chase lighting.

If you have not thought of it, yet, you can air brush the tracks, to weather.  Shoot & wipe the top of the rails with lacquer thinner, right after it is spraided.

When paint has dried, take a track cleaner eraser, clean the residue off the rail tops.

Heck the kids can spray the rail to make them look weathered, great training, cause its freelance.

You have made the right choice sticking with the atlas track, first layout I built ran way better with that track. ..... the best.

If Atlas makes live frog turn outs, recommend spending the extra for them. Especially for the yards or any areas that rolling stock will be shuffled around. Engines can creep without stalling on the insulated frogs.

OK enough  babbling for now

Rock on
Yep that's how I plan to weather the track. I don't believe Atlas makes electro frog. Peco seems to be the go to for that. They are a bit different sized so it would take a bit of work to fit them in.

Offline muddy

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2023, 08:52:10 PM »
Picked up these magazines for $5 all issues from 1984 and 1988.

Granted the technology is a bit outdated. But a lot of the basic concepts can be used.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2024, 09:36:55 PM »
Been working on the coal elevator this week. This laser cut kit is nicely made and easy to put together all though the coal chutes are a patience testers.

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline muddy

« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2024, 09:22:07 PM »
Coal elevator is done and ready for touch up and weathering along with the farm house.

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2024, 09:57:16 PM »
Lookin' good Tim! == Sam will love it.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2024, 03:05:53 AM »
Coming along nicely...I think the best part of a train layout is the building process!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2024, 07:32:36 AM »
Lazer-cut wooden kits, & super clue were/are 2 great additions to the hobby. Glad to read & see you're still working on the railroad.

Damn, that could almost be a song ...... Hope there are plans for a Harley shop somewhere in the town.

Have any Coal hoppers yet see something you like PM me.
1776 ................... what happened!