Author Topic: Nothing like doing it twice!!  (Read 2956 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Nothing like doing it twice!!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2023, 09:41:45 AM »
It was a nice clear dry morning and a perfect time to spray these parts. I shot two light coats of base, followed by a nice smooth wet coat to make it flow. A half hour later I followed up with two wet coats of clear. The clear was sprayed in 15 minute intervals.

Since I didn’t feel like making a drop cloth paint booth, i just propped my exhaust fans under the garage door and sprayed the floor with some water to keep the dust down. That worked pretty well. Almost a perfect finish -

I sprayed these parts in the attached garage of the house. It was easier to clean out and prep for paint than my shop garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:44:02 AM by goodfellow »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Nothing like doing it twice!!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2023, 11:38:56 AM »
Put the vacuum pump on to see if there are
any leaks. I’ll let her run for an hour and then shut everything down and wait an hour to make sure the system holds vacuum.

Love these new gauges - separate ports for the vacuum pump and the fill side. Definitely an improvement over my old gauge set.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2023, 12:23:00 PM »
Very glad I did a check. Brand new Schrader valve was leaking on the low side. Careful when buying these kits on Amazon. This may bite you in the a$$.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Nothing like doing it twice!!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2023, 12:47:07 PM »
Paint cured for two days and I was able to install everything without a hitch. Recharged the AC system and took it for a test drive. Everything good to go.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 12:53:18 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2023, 04:32:09 PM »
Nice work, as usual, Ray.

I too have been bit by the leaky Schrader valves. What a PITA. I did get me a freon recovery tank a while back and that helps to recover the charge before pulling it back apart to replace the valve.

I dont recall the thread up fittings leaking this bad, but it seems like just about every time I snap onto a fitting now its gonna leak when I unsnap. usually you can poke it a time or two to get it sealed back but sometimes. :banghead: :banghead:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2023, 07:20:23 PM »
Nice work, as usual, Ray.

I too have been bit by the leaky Schrader valves. What a PITA. I did get me a freon recovery tank a while back and that helps to recover the charge before pulling it back apart to replace the valve.

I dont recall the thread up fittings leaking this bad, but it seems like just about every time I snap onto a fitting now its gonna leak when I unsnap. usually you can poke it a time or two to get it sealed back but sometimes. :banghead: :banghead:

Thanks slipknot -- much appreciated! Yes, modern imported Schrader valves are always suspect in my view. I've been bitten in the rear too many times by cheap imported AC valves. In this instance I had no choice but to use what items I had on hand. It was a gamble, but I always check to be sure. Glad this is over, and I can get back to a slower pace -- I'm tired -- ;)

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2023, 07:42:21 AM »
yep, looking good Ray

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2023, 08:35:38 AM »
Very nice work, Ray. Much better than my beaver-tooth job on the wife's Buick.

Yeah, I've had my share of bad schrader valve cores leaking. Makes having a core removal tool indispensible. Makes replacing a leaking core without losing the whole charge easy.

This is an ad for the newer style. I also have an older Yellow Jacket model I reserve for R12 and R22 systems.

https://www.amazon.com/Appion-MGAVCT-MegaFlow-Vacuum-Rated-Removal/dp/B01M7SQGTR/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=valve+core+removal+tool&qid=1685972018&sr=8-2

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2023, 12:24:38 PM »
Thanks George! …. and thanks for that Amazon link. What an ingenious little tool. The tool snob in me wants one - I’ll place the order this evening.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2023, 05:03:02 PM »
Glad I could be of help, Ray. Those tools have saved me countless times over the years.

If you prefer a brass tool, here's the YJ model.

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-18975-Charge-Tool/dp/B0014JDNVO

Offline slip knot

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2023, 05:27:32 PM »
Those tools work well on the smaller schrader valves but not on the bigger cores. I've got the smaller tools and it wont work with the bigger cores.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2023, 06:33:16 PM »
Those tools work well on the smaller schrader valves but not on the bigger cores. I've got the smaller tools and it wont work with the bigger cores.

Shoot - I hadn't thought about that!

HVAC schrader valves are all one size - even between refrigerants. there was some debate when R410a came out to make them a different size than the older R22, just so unwitting techs didn't install older lower pressure gauges on the new higher pressure units. But standardization won out - all A/C valves are the same size.

I know on cars they are different, but there are adaptors to be able to use different gauges. Maybe one of the tools is made with bigger fittings?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2023, 10:46:40 PM »
Great work as always, Ray!  There just might be a cigar or two in your near future...