Author Topic: 1/4" magnetic sockets?  (Read 909 times)

Offline wantedabiggergarage

1/4" magnetic sockets?
« on: May 31, 2023, 11:17:49 PM »
What do you use more, shallow or deep?

Offline bonneyman

Re: 1/4" magnetic sockets?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 09:06:16 AM »
I used both, but used the shallow more often. Once I switched over to 1/4" sockets from nutdrivers I soon realized I needed a way to hold sheet metal screws when reaching into a deep recess (which sockets and extensions then allowed). Magnetic sockets was the logical direction. Never looked back.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 03:32:05 PM »
Magnetic sockets?
I never knew they had such a thing.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline geneg

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 09:34:29 PM »
Prior to everything being cordless & available anywhere.  Apex & a few other compainies made sockets & bits for screwguns.  Usually had to get them at a tool jobber or industrial supply co.  Sheeting crews for pre engineered  metal buildings & pole buildings used 1/4" hex drive sockets with a built in magnet.  Didn't have to sweep up as many dropped fasteners at the end of the project.

The quality of those bits/sockets was much better than what you buy today.  Even better than the impact rated versions.

Offline bonneyman

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 12:12:45 AM »
Prior to everything being cordless & available anywhere.  Apex & a few other compainies made sockets & bits for screwguns.  Usually had to get them at a tool jobber or industrial supply co.  Sheeting crews for pre engineered  metal buildings & pole buildings used 1/4" hex drive sockets with a built in magnet.  Didn't have to sweep up as many dropped fasteners at the end of the project.

The quality of those bits/sockets was much better than what you buy today.  Even better than the impact rated versions.
Is that what we're talking about, the magnetic nut driver bits for sheetmetal screws ?
I have some of those around somewhere.
They're not branded but are US made, I assumed the plastic case they came in one had a craftsman or master mechanic sticker on it.
They're magnetic with a flat driver tip inside.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 12:13:36 AM »
Magnetic sockets?

They're basically black sockets with a strong magnet epoxied into the center.

https://www.protoindustrial.com/en/industrial-tools/Proto/Impact-Sockets/Impact-Sockets-Individual/4f46b787-c837-496d-9d36-113d9fd6e459_Proto%C2%AE-3%7C8%22-Drive-High-Strength-Magnetic-Impact-Sockets---6-Point/#
Interesting.
I probably would have just got those old magnetic inserts Craftsman used to offer.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 08:47:24 AM »
I haven't used mag sockets, just mag bit drivers for sheet metal screws but seeing as I have lost feeling in my fingers, I may have to strart because starting nuts has become difficult

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 09:36:15 PM »
Magnetic sockets?

https://www.protoindustrial.com/en/industrial-tools/Proto/Impact-Sockets/Impact-Sockets-Individual/4f46b787-c837-496d-9d36-113d9fd6e459_Proto%C2%AE-3%7C8%22-Drive-High-Strength-Magnetic-Impact-Sockets---6-Point/#
Interesting.
I probably would have just got those old magnetic inserts Craftsman used to offer.

Those inserts were not designed for 1/4" sockets.  Back when I worked at a garage, I ordered the Snapon SAE ones from Ebay, as I found them.  My most used was 1/4" deep that I use with a locking extension for hose clamps.

Didn't know about the Proto, knew about Sunnex, Snap~on, and Grey Pnuematic.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 02:10:54 AM »
Magnetic sockets?

Interesting.

Those inserts were not designed for 1/4" sockets.  Back when I worked at a garage, I ordered the Snapon SAE ones from Ebay, as I found them.  My most used was 1/4" deep that I use with a locking extension for hose clamps.

Didn't know about the Proto, knew about Sunnex, Snap~on, and Grey Pnuematic.

Years ago, several decades before the Craftsman inserts sold 10-15 years ago Sears sold a small set of about five magnetic inserts that came in a small vinyl pouch that were sized for 1/4 drive sockets. I bought that set as well as the sets offered more recently. I only recall using the inserts sized for 1/4 drive a handful of times through the years.  Ironically,  I had to use them just last week to secure a nut to a terminal post on an electric motor where dropping the nuts would have assured them falling into the motor and they worked just great. That set disappeared from their tool offering some years before they brought out the newer sets that are more complete and include the large sizes. They old set was for sizes less than 1/2 inch.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 08:03:56 AM »
yeah, I remember those magnetic inserts. But I never fully trusted them to not come lose with use and drop out unexpectantly. I used the mag sockets exclusively, and never had any issues. Almost always on cabinet screws. Many times I'd find units installed too close to walls or obstructions, and 1/4" drive sockets were the only way to get them out. Or there'd be some internal screws needing removal, and with my combo of 1/4" drive accessories I could manage to remove things.

I did the switch over to 1/4" drive stuff, then - when I got my first EASYDRIVER - I was in heaven. Never looked back. I did try and mate a YANKEE spiral driver to my 1/4" stuff - thought it would save time. Didn't quite work out like I planned.
Then some time ago I snagged a GearWrench 1/4" drive set off of the Journal - with different length extensions and ratcheting drive handles - and it was nice. Perfect addition to my 1/4" drive conglomeration. Wish I'd found it earlier. Better late than never, tough
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 08:08:57 AM by bonneyman »