Author Topic: I made a purchase and...  (Read 5101 times)

Offline muddy

Re: I made a purchase and...
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 07:34:13 PM »
The wife will get over it or leave..... The cars not going anywhere! :))

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 10:20:45 PM »
Wishing you luck on completing your projects. I always liked the looks of the Regals but really liked the the Grand Nationals and the GNX was really nice but the prices were out of sight for those. My mom had a couple of Monte Carlo SS's during that time period.
Wow - mom must have been pretty cool drivin’ a MC-SS. Most of my mom’s generation were station wagon queens- LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I was in high school she bought a 72 Chevelle SS and that was what I took my driving test in. Her SS days ended when she traded in her last MC SS for a Caprice since she wanted a bigger car to haul the grandkid. Every single time she took the SS in for service the salesmen begged her to trade it in. One day a salesman approached and said he had a buyer wanting an SS in that color and was willing to pay top dollar since they had been discontinued. She gave them a little money and left with the new Caprice.
Way to go mom! Pretty cool having a mom that understood horsepower and styling.

Thanks for sharing that story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 06:28:21 AM »
My question, how many cars are you going to put together . Cannot figure out the direction of the

build/builds.

I did something similar with a 32 Ford truck. 4 years later wife was driving it . Pretty sure the wife would not complain if progress in being made. Buying an storing waiting on a round_to_it, not helping

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 06:37:33 AM »
Hot_Rod lady.... First start & drive.  The locals snap the head seeing the driver, funny as hell. 

Grind, weld and assemble on,
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2021, 10:56:47 AM »
Direction ? Well, I want to do the rosewood and get it running and driving to kinda take the place of the black one that got wrecked. I love driving one and this one will have all the creature comforts of the late eighties. Would want to be able to do powertour and dragweek type events and be able to drive it to/from the local track to run it. It will be fed e85 and probably have an aftermarket ECU to be able to tune it.

The white one will become a parts donor really. It has an 8.5 rear and good interior pieces I can use for the black one that has spent its days in the Texas sun and the interior shows it.

The black one will get the frame pulled and plated where it was kinked to strengthen it and be put back together with the new/used quarter. It is pretty low option car so it is kinda odd. I bought it new and it is my first new car so it will be with me as long as I can have it.

Nice truck. Lots of fab work I'm sure. I don't think mine will require so much fab as I have most of the pieces and can get other things I might not have. I did order a floor pan to replace the rusted Dr side one in the rosewood car. Story was the guy took it to Indiana one winter and had salt on his boots and it soaked the carpet and ate the floor. Not sure but it is rusty so out it comes .

If a buyer comes along for the white one, down the road it goes. Other wise I guess it is paid for so it can sit and wait.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 11:07:42 AM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2021, 12:49:37 PM »
As far as progress, I've been working six days a week and that one day trying to get her honey dos done. She had been wanting a walkway from the side walk to the driveway as the path gets muddy. So we bought some flat stone and did that.

As we were getting the fill between the flat rocks

Then she wanted some gabion walls. These were quite the energy expender.

Bought two big white bags like this and one full of river rock and the other riprap to fill the inner part.

I think they turned out well. Do have some more work to do on the backyard fence but it can wait with the price of lumber where it is.

Rich

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2021, 01:21:49 PM »
I like the wall good idea.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2021, 04:30:17 PM »

Managed to get the chassis up and off the trailer today.

Slipped the bumpers into the frame to get them out of the way. Next up the steering box, front suspension, fuel and brake lines. Then swap the rear end from the roller so I can swap this frame back under its original body.

Rich

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2021, 04:53:51 PM »
Nice , love seeing progress.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2022, 08:27:19 AM »
Been picking away at stuff. Work has slowed some and they did away with my four ten hr day shift and I'm back to m-f. This gives two days in a row off pretty much every weekend. So I got the steering box and links on, and the upper and lower front a arms hung on there. The outer tie rods were missing nuts so I ordered up some castle nuts for those. The ball joints were also missing nuts so those were ordered as well. Was going to replace em but the uppers have nuts n bolts so they have already been replaced and the mileage on the dash is only mid eighty thousand so they can't be that old and I'm going to send em. Gotta dig up the springs and compressor as the floor jack ain't gonna work without an engine.

crank with the rolled fillets on the journals. Factory did this to the factory turbo cranks so I guess it adds steangth. I'd love a new forged unit of chinesium but with work slowing I'm going to run with this unit. Maybe for the next one.

Built up a stand for the crank so I could measure and give it a polish. I hope I can find some .001 over bearings if it can go with those. Otherwise I might have to take and have it turned down. Time will tell. Definitely a budget build.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 11:49:17 AM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »

Got the block onto the stand and the main caps torqued down with some bearings in there.

Torque wrench the son bought me a few Christmases' back. I've been using the old beam type but he thinks it is junk.

Got the micrometer out and did the standard in there, "just to make sure". and measured up the main journals on the crank.

Got the chinse one out too.

The starret one came in this cool wood box

I bought this cool dial bore gauge. It is a fowler, though it is a chinesium unit. Could have doubled or tripled the entry price and got the Mitutoyo but I just could see it .
I've been looking at youtube vids and it doesn't look that hard to do the measuring. We are certainly going to find out.
I did get some cam bearings, some rod and main bearings and a nifty set of hyper eutectic pistons. Would have liked some forged pistons but as my dad used to say, wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first. Gotta round up some rods. I know I have several sets but so far have only located a set of five and a bluetooth sixth rod probably won't work out.

Rich

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2023, 09:06:29 PM »

So, with the bare frame, doing the floor jack on the lower wasn't going to work. I got my two spring compressors out but saw one of these single type units on the ebay. For $22 shipped I invested in the chinesium. As with any, I was scared to give it the full crush but it worked out so I was able to get the two front springs in.

I got the castle nuts for the ball joint and tie rod end so those worked out. Gotta see about some cotter pins. small steps are better than none.

Hope everyone is well.
Rich

Offline john k

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2023, 07:34:04 AM »
Progress is always good.  You got such a mix of parts I can barely keep it straight.  Everything I have is froze down, or covered up for the winter.  Did walk out back and looked over the 55 Pontiac parts car I bought last month.  Monday was real nice, but got snow again last night.  Was told by an instructor in tech school years back, the beam type torque wrench would hold its accuracy longer than the snap type. 

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2023, 03:52:11 PM »
I tend to be doing several things at a time and am easily side tracked. I think that is the main reason my son won't come help me any more. He gets frustrated.
I like wood work type stuff and the welding/cutting is also pretty fun. Waiting for paint or other finish to dry , or a glue up to dry I get off on other things. I have a four wheel gravely tractor and my 70 GS455 I want to do some things to and get them useable. And of course the og 87 Regal that got hit. Lots of plans. And the wife has her own list of things she wants too.
Rich

Offline john k

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2023, 07:41:52 PM »
Know what you mean.  Have 1 JD tractor ready to run come spring, already painted.  A IHC 460 tractor running and paint to finish.  2 more big JD farm tractor to get back to.  4 JD riding mowers to finish.  1931 FordAA truck,runs but needs lots.  1941 Studebaker Commander to finish.  1949 Studebaker pickup to put an engine in.  2- 1956 Pontiac sedans to get running.  1958 Chevy Apache 1/2t.  Still working over the 1906 house, one room at a time.  Some more stuff, got to keep busy when retired.  Going to a big farm machinery sale tomorrow.  If it doesnt snow too much.