Author Topic: Multimeter Leads.  (Read 2037 times)

Offline muddy

Multimeter Leads.
« on: January 02, 2022, 03:35:25 PM »
I'm looking for a new set of multimeter lead and probe sets. Mostly because my alligator clips and such have been lost over the year.

I checked into this set from fluke. It's basically exactly what I want, but the cheap man in me thinks $150 for the set is too much.

On the other hand I know you get what you pay for. Anyone know of a set like this that is reliable and budget friendly?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

Re: Multimeter Leads.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 03:42:21 PM »
Fluke is the cream of the crop, almost Snap-On status. So yeah, Fluke it going to tend to be pricey. Though some of their stuff is really good, they went overseas some years ago, and aren't the king like they used to be.

As I recall I got some OEM Amprobe leads a few years ago off of ebay. Interfaced perfectly with my old meter. But new lead sets I've never used.
I visit this site often never knowing what they'll bring in. And they had some test leads. No personal experience with them yet but for the surplus price it couldn't hurt to try some.

https://www.mpja.com/Electronic-Test-Leads-Scope-Probes-and-Clips/products/57/

These are probably China but nice selection of tips for a decent price.

https://kaiweets.com/products/kaiweets-ket11-multimeter-test-leads-set-16pcs-digital-test-leads-kit-with-replaceable-alligator-clips-spade-clips-multimeter-probes-tips-set-for-electronic-testing?currency=USD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping

And here's a site of USA-made leads and accessories. And they have a "design your own leads" section! I was so impressed by the selection I hit print for my own reference.

https://probemaster.com/dmm-multimeter-test-leads/

Hope these help.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 04:10:09 PM by bonneyman »

Online ron350

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 08:34:40 PM »
If you are looking for a name brand set at a good price check out Mueller 10004.

I purchased this set 20 years ago and really like them because they are 18 gauge wire. Some one on ebay has them listed for $24 with free shipping.

https://www.muellerelectric.com/products/110004

PS: This set is available with the banana plugs of your choice.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 09:00:41 PM by ron350 »

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 08:24:41 AM »
For all the "welding" I do with these type equipment I just keep buying cheap stuff off eBay. I try to keep a couple sets on hand for easy replacement.
Rich

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 04:48:30 AM »
I bought a fluke set a while back, not sure its worth the money. Good set, very complete but probably made in China now :)

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 10:21:20 PM »
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I went with probe master that bonneyman had shared. They weren't the cheapest, however I could pick and choose which ends I wanted. Also the amount of  accessory tips to choose from in the future if I need was very large.

I'll post up when I get them!

Offline Robotron

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 10:50:36 AM »

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 06:54:32 PM »
I received my leads from probmaster in timely fashion. I am very happy with both the product and company.

I went with the starter lead set, two large alligator clips, and a flexible back probe. I wanted the alligator clips because often time the small jumper lead clips aren't big enough for the closest ground.

The flexible back probe stays in the position you put it.

Made in USA, very well packaged, they came with cards explaining all the features.

https://probemaster.com/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 09:01:40 PM »
Those look really nice, Tim. Thanks for posting!

Offline ssdave

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 09:31:33 PM »
Do the safety shrouds on the banana plugs fold back, or would you have to cut them off for jacks that are flush and no provision for the safety shroud?  I'm hard of understanding here, have only seen bare plugs before.

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 10:16:35 PM »
Do the safety shrouds on the banana plugs fold back, or would you have to cut them off for jacks that are flush and no provision for the safety shroud?  I'm hard of understanding here, have only seen bare plugs before.
Probe master offers bother standard (without the shroud) and "safety"  (shrouded) banana plugs.