Author Topic: Feeding the addiction!  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Feeding the addiction!
« on: December 01, 2023, 06:51:53 PM »
I can't seem to shake occasionally buying tools I have little likelihood of ever needing, or using. I am speaking of precision measuring equipment right now. For some years I have had micrometers up to 6" in capacity which for most guys dinking around a home shop should more than meet their needs, if not exceed their needs. I think all except one I bought new and are either Starrett, or Mitutoyo.  I don't recall ever using anything but maybe the 1,2 and 3 inch sizes, and not once ever using the larger sizes. So, why on earth do I keep looking at buying  used 7, 8 and 9" sizes on the cheap? I have resisted so far, but one of these days in a moment of weakness I bet I buy a used 7", probably a Lufkin because they are often cheaper and I am a fan of them.

I think guys like me can slow down buying tools you really don't need, but much like an alcoholic you keep the addiction until you die! LOL
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 08:49:09 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Feeding the addiction!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 07:12:59 PM »
I'm with ya Herb! Like you I've have lots of tools for most everything I'll ever need to do either mechanically or metalworking. That said, I can't resist good measuring tools at yard sales and auctions. Like you, I look at the off-brands as well. Everyone wants Starrett, Mitutoyo, or Brown & Sharpe while the off brands are ignored. I also go for Lufkin, Craftsman (mostly Starrett), NSK, and  Scheer - Tumico. They usually sell for much less --

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 08:46:37 PM »
Exactly! The lesser known and appreciated brands are a magnet for me. An even older and much more likely to be passed over brands that I have bought several of used and gave my dad when he was still alive J.T. Slowcumb brand is also worth consideration used. Lufkin I greatly favor. I like everything Lufkin I ever bought. I think this is because as a kid, my dad had only one mic, a 1" with an army green colored frame. Pop taught me how to read a mic, how to properly hold a mic, and the rules of care for a mic with that old Lufkin. Of all the mics I own that old 1" Lufkin is my favorite for obvious reasons.

Through the years I added depth mics, ID mics, dial indicator sets, mag bases, dial calipers, dividers, combination squares, small hole gage sets and telescoping gages and numerous other odds and ends. Aside from larger mic sizes I am looking to add a set of V blocks and clamps and a set of adjustable parallels.  It is like I never find an end to just one or two more odds and ends that I see great benfit in having. So there ya go, it just never ends.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 08:57:36 PM »
Also, Craftsman brand and Gem are always up for consideration for me. For some things I give equal consideration to even General brand stuff! One brand I am less drawn to, but would consider is Central brand usually the brand sold off of the tool trucks. For some reason I was just never drawn to the Central brand.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 12:24:10 PM »
I understand the addiction to precision measuring instruments. I purchase this Lufkin # 1911 one inch micrometer new 60 years ago, and even have the box it came in.. It's my go to micrometer yet today. Over the years I have added a number more to keep it company in my Gerstner tool chest.

did someone mention adjustable parallels? Along with a planer set gage and some homemade angle setting triangles and precision squares.

If that is not enough. I have two sets of 0-6” and one set of 6” to 12” in a cabinet...

Here's my first set of vernier calipers. No dials or digital readout. The oustide scale in on one side, while the inside on the flip side of the calipers.  Need a good set of eyes reading them; but accuracy could easily done. I have at least six more sets of dial and or digital 6” calipers, one set 12” and one set 24”..

Two sets of  internal micrometer to 12”. Numberous sets of depth micromters. One 2” base, most are 4” bases, and one is 5” base.. Then I have a blade 0-6” set depth mics that handy to get into narrow places or small ledges..

I have three 12” dial height gages and one 18”. I prefer a dial over digital if not having to replace batteries..

Several sets of precision (inspection grade) gage block sets

Pin gages from .010" to .625" in .001" incriements..

Numeroius indicators and plate gages.  Then there's this milling machine head tramming indicator. To true a mill head to the table.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 08:45:50 AM by oldcarguy »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 12:43:20 PM »
What a stunning and enviable assortment,  all of them just top notch OCG! You mentioned and showed examples of one tool that is on my short list, the planer gage. I would like to add one for setting up my shapers. Do you see the round pin attachments for your gages as critical or nice to have available in practice? My use of a planer gage is a bit rusty since the last shaper I actually made a part on was was most of 40 years ago, even though I own two small shapers.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 01:18:27 PM »
What a stunning and enviable assortment,  all of them just top notch OCG! You mentioned and showed examples of one tool that is on my short list, the planer gage. I would like to add one for setting up my shapers. Do you see the round pin attachments for your gages as critical or nice to have available in practice? My use of a planer gage is a bit rusty since the last shaper I actually made a part on was was most of 40 years ago, even though I own two small shapers.

Most machinists let alone a seller today have no idea what a planer gage is nor how to use one. Hence they're inexpensive to purchase. I find it handy using the extension pin to increase the overall height of the gage.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 04:13:56 PM »
Though it has been years since I used one I don't anticipate issues making use of one once I actually put it to use. I didn't recall using the attachment pin, but intend to buy one with the pins when I get around to buying one.

Offline john k

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 09:01:32 PM »
I was trained by a machinist that was originally a watch repairman.  He thought in hundred thousands rather than thousandths.  I started using my father's 0-1 starrett mic.  Had it in my tool box at work, then replaced it with a General, felt it was worth too much to me to have someone (borrow) it.  So now my big tool boxes are in my own garage and the Starret is in there again.  Recently bought another set of mics, 0 -5, with inside snap gauges.   Used of course but showing no wear,  Mitutoyo if I recall.  I have a stainless vernier caliper, direct read.  Co-workers all had dial calipers, couldn't see how mine could be accurate,  mine didn't even use batteries!  Have reined the tool buying, some, what helps is to spend time in the shop just handling your tools.  So when you are tempted by the shiny stuff on the table, listen to that little voice saying:  leave it be, yours are nicer!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 10:29:56 PM by john k »

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 10:27:21 PM »
We have so much to thank for the knowledge passed on by older toolmakers/machinists. Nothing can compete with experience. Been there done that the saying. And some of the newer instruments and equipment are no better than old. Both old and new machines produce the same results. I have one of the latest and best CNC machines. Yet I'm quick to produce the part on my 75 year old Kearney Trecker mill than CNC. By the time it takes to make up a program and test runs. I'll have the part finished the old fashioned way.. Increasing the volume from one to to four. The CNC wins hands down though..

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 10:28:25 AM »
Since starting this thread I fell off the wagon and bought a 7" Lufkin mic, a 9" Starrett,  and am bidding on an 8" B & S and 10" Starrett.

I had not intended to also buy the 8 & 10 inch mics I am bidding on now, but reasoned that if I bought them from the same seller as I did the 9" Starrett I could save a lot through bundled shipping.

Speaking of costs, sadly precision measuring tools do not hold their value well if ebay is any indication of what one might expect to get if selling their tools. Literally tons of stuff on ebay, much for pennies on the dollar of their original cost.

If I win the two I am currently bidding on, I will have roughly $100 in all four mics with tax and shipping!

That will be for a 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, and 9-10! That is just sad, even if they are old and used.

Offline john k

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2023, 01:34:27 PM »
Could it be that the demise of the 1 and 2 man machine shops, CNC machining,  and repair shops that only remove & replace are the cause of these low prices?  I believe so. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2023, 01:38:49 PM »
Maybe so, in particular 8" and larger mics of every brand can be bought dirt cheap. Especially so for those without cases.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2023, 03:44:07 PM »

:great:

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 10:56:21 AM »
With my tool addiction, once I fall from the abstinence wagon, like a drunk I go on a bender. When I started this thread I was adding one 6-7 " micrometer. By the time I have finished I will have bought a mix of brands used that takes me to 12" capacity. In one of the deals I have in the works I am buying 8-9 & 9-10" B & S  mics with wood boxes and a well used set of Mitutoyo standards 1-11" in a wood box as well. All three came from industry and appear well used, but for less than $60 to my door I will take thet deal.

Yup, the addiction never ends. I still have to buy one 7-8" to complete the set. I think that might hold me for awhile.......then, maybe not. I am itching to add a set of V blocks, a planer gage, and a set of adjustable parallels, so we will see.