Author Topic: Feeding the addiction!  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Feeding the addiction!
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2024, 04:45:51 PM »
If you see the locking finger will sit below the blade surface. And it moves when you turn the smaller knob. Should work fine. That finger only grabs the blade by .020”. And works good on both brand protractors.

I think I am fine then. I looked that finger over pretty close before ever moving forward in search of blades because I knew if that finger was not appearing to operate as it should, blades would be a mute point. The finger on mine virtually disappears when retracted, but is pronounced when dialed in as would be done to lock down the blade.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:50:29 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2024, 08:38:49 AM »
The readings and lines are really pronounced on your protractor. It looks far easier to read than my 80 year old ancestor. As far as the compromised area around the B/S insignia area is no biggie. I wonder if some past owner may have tried to put black paint in the engraving to enhance the appearance. And used some abrasive polish to take off the over run.. Some light polishing may blend it in. In any even it will not hinder its' performance...

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2024, 11:03:48 AM »
Agreed, at the time of purchase I thought the same thing about the appearance. There was no shipping cost. The head plus tax totalled right at $25 as I recall.
I went back and checked the price. Purchase price was $23.74 + tax for a total of $25.96
Amazing how small the head of these instruments actually are in person.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 11:08:04 AM by Uncle Buck »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2024, 11:15:15 AM »
The sad part about many of the old B&S vernier, protractor heads, height gages and depth gages is the neglected and poor finish on so much of what you find for sale. Some micrometers look absolutely horrible, and not just the frames, sometimes even the anvils and the spindles too. Literally rust, on anvils and spindles! Some appear to have come out of old welding shops, appearing as though they layed on welding tables next to the chipping hammer!

I recall the first really poor condition micrometers I ever saw was when I was in HS. I was at a friend's house visiting. They were wealthier than my folks and lived in the silk stocking district. His pop was an engineer.  Anyway, we were dinking around at his dad's workbench and one of us opened a drawer. Within was a large wooden box that contained 4-5 micrometers. I don't recall the brand but they surely were a quality USA made brand. Every micrometer was eaten up with rust. That was just so sad to see. I knew what I was looking at and how the micrometers were supposed to look. I never forgot that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 11:27:20 AM by Uncle Buck »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2024, 11:34:56 AM »
I removed the link where I shared the pictures of the head. It just hit me that someone could make purchases with what  I shared!  :-[ :-\  :stupid:

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2024, 04:09:28 PM »
I often think of days gone by. The pride a machinist had purchasing new precision tools. And the stories they could tell about the work they performed. The purchase price had to been a good percentage of their wages of the day. No doubt the craftsmen took meticulous care of each and every tool. As his work depending on it. The size of the protractor head may be small. But their accuracy is amazing. Plus you get a better feel with a small tool, rather than lugging a pound gadget.

I have a dozen old precise spring calipers sets that are wonder tools. Old timer relied on them for so many measurements. And could work to tenth's with them... Today I seldom see the younger generation of machinists use them let alone purchase them...   

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2024, 06:47:21 PM »
I cannot say that I have used them much, but I have several. But I have also never worked as a machinist for a living. The closest I got was a machine operator in a mfg company.

I did take several semesters of Night classes in Machine Technology for fun though years ago. I did learn quite a bit though.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2024, 07:27:55 PM »
The Blades are complete. I'll put some rust preventive on them and package them for shipping. Then drop them off at the post office tomorrow and you should have them in a few days..

Below is an earlier picture some fine cross scratches can be seen on the blades. That's from sliding the blade across the magnet to remove them from the magnetic chuck An electromagnetic chuck has a built in demagnetizer that will work. But my chuck is permanent magnetic.. .  The water suctions the blade to the chuck. And fine grits does the number removing the thin blades. On a taller piece you can tilt and pull it off one the front edge. Without sliding.. There are several solutions. One would be to use an air hose to release the suction. But my father along with most good machinists would heavily frown on that practice. NEVER blow air in or around machinery, as it'll blow grit into critical places and mess up the machine.

The second trick I used. Placing a piece of wax type paper between the work piece and chuck. Don't use regular paper, it will break into pieces and clog the coolant system.. Then the work will slide across the chuck without putting any scratches on the work piece...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 07:38:55 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2024, 07:57:49 PM »
Those turned out absolutely stunning. The case will be here by Saturday so the blades will have the perfect place to live when they arrive. Friday is my payday and will be the day I PayPal Rusty the site donation as we discussed on your behalf.

I just never dreamed this could have ever worked out this well for me. I will tell you this, there is a whole lot more to making quality blades than I ever imagined! That was quite a lesson in just how little I really do know! 😆

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2024, 06:38:32 AM »
It was an education for all of us. Thank You OCG.

Lou Manglass

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2024, 08:04:50 AM »
It was an education for all of us. Thank You OCG.

Lou Manglass

Agreed!  :93:

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2024, 10:06:30 AM »
Happy to hear that others enjoyed seeing how to make protractor blades. It was a fun project to say the least.

Note to Uncle Buck. I sent you a PM giving you the tracking numbers. The shipping time was longer than I expected. Should arrive this upcoming Tuesday. By the way there’s a little something special that I placed in the box. I have a dozen such items and there’s no way I can ever use or need that many. Thought you’d make good use of it.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2024, 11:08:53 AM »
I thought that I'd try to put a youtube link showing the final grinding of the blades. Taking off .0005"...  Half a thousandth of an inch that is   

https://youtube.com/shorts/TXanyZvDfck?si=pUms7fYBt6Oi--GG

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2024, 02:00:07 PM »
Thanks for the video, that was excellent!

My father-in-law used to be a tool and die maker, he brought me many amazing creations from the surface grinder at work. All I had to do was dream it up. It took him a while to get used to working without blueprints and using his own creativity to fill in the gaps but he became great at it.

Lou Manglass

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2024, 08:06:22 PM »
I thought that I'd try to put a youtube link showing the final grinding of the blades. Taking off .0005"...  Half a thousandth of an inch that is   

https://youtube.com/shorts/TXanyZvDfck?si=pUms7fYBt6Oi--GG

Talk about cutting it close!

I always marvel at the knowledge and experience it takes to bring together the machines, instruments and materials to create such things!