VEHICLES > DAILY DRIVERS/GROCERY GETTERS

Don't grease disc brake pads and shims --

<< < (2/2)

pep:
 You make a good point right there, I have read more than once. About brake lines failing in that type of environment.

So we live in the world we live. One size does in fact does not & never will fit all.

--- Quote from: john k on December 07, 2023, 07:18:18 PM --- Enjoy reading Rainmans site, he is a good mechanic.  But he is in Florida where the roads don't get calcium and salt 4-6 months of the year.  He has mentioned several times how evident the rust is underneath northern vehicles brought to him.  If the caliper slides or pins are rusty, I always polished them, then they got a very light rub of some lube.  Had to drive the slides out of too many Ford brakes,  seen too many calipers stuck from rust with only one brake pad showing wear.  On drum brakes the rub points where the shoes contacted the backing plated were buffed and lubed.  Seen too many backing plates worn deeply, which makes for a funny braking noise.  The slides on many cars have rubber boots around them which is fine,  but when the boots tear, they can and often do rust.  The calipers have to move or disc brakes just don't do the job.  Just my 2 cents, repaired cars for money, in the snow belt, for about 40 years.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version