Author Topic: Talk about tool addiction...  (Read 495 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Talk about tool addiction...
« on: February 08, 2024, 07:34:56 PM »

There's no shortage of drill chucks at OldCarGuy's Toy Shop. My collection of  drill Chucks.. From 1” diameter to 3/8” Mostly Jacobs Ball Bearing Super Chucks.

Jacobs Drill Chucks at my large lathe,, that requires #5 MT Shanks

Jacobs Drill Chucks at my radial drill press,, that requires #4 MT Shanks

Offline zeke

Re: Talk about tool addiction...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 03:19:10 PM »
I thought I had a lot.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 03:58:20 PM »
I think OCG is the hands down winner of home shops on this site. There are a number of members with nice home shops and assortments of tools and machines but to my knowledge none of them could stand shoulder to shoulder with his shop. No disrespect intended to any other member, but I think my assessment is accurate.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 07:24:05 PM »
I think OCG is the hands down winner of home shops on this site. There are a number of members with nice home shops and assortments of tools and machines but to my knowledge none of them could stand shoulder to shoulder with his shop. No disrespect intended to any other member, but I think my assessment is accurate.

Let's face it, OCG doesn't have a "home shop". Rather he has an industrial production quality machine and restoration shop located at his house. I've seen a lot of independent "old school" machine shops in my life, and OCG's shop is better equipped than most all of them.

Most of my equipment is value based older American, Taiwanese and newer Chinese stuff. I can make it work and do decent work, but OCG has the tools and the knowledge/ability to use them. That capability only comes with time and experience.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 07:27:19 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 07:33:34 PM »
Thank you for doing a much better job of clarifying OCG's compound expertise and abilities Ray!

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 07:47:37 PM »
sweeeet

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 09:33:04 PM »
Like I said awhile back, his shop reminded me of what I saw at the auto restoration program at McPherson College here in KS.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 07:32:24 PM »
Thanks for you kind words gentlemen. On several other sights that I've posted on over the years. Some posters say my machines are to close together. It's too neat, And that no work ever gets done in there,,  Just a show place. I know what I'm capable of and what comes out of my shops..

I pride my accomplishments of my garages and machine shop. I spent 65 years not only collecting tools and machines. But I hand built the garages myself. The construction including insulation and drywall, HVAC units, Gas lines, all the wiring including three-phase, air lines throughout all my garages with two central staged compressors, installing bridge canes in two garages. Not only once. A second time after a laptop decided to destroy my handy work. Once again I was told I wasn't capable... No one tells me I cannot do something. It may have taken me two years..  But I'm here basking in the joy of my paradise... I don't use my shops for business, never did or will. Simply for my use. Or maybe a freebee for a deserving person...

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 10:49:35 PM »
I would rack any criticisms up to petty jealousy.  I have been through literally several hundred fabrication and machine shops in my career and I would dismiss such criticisms. A shop like yours both in cleanliness and machine placement in no way struck me as odd in any way. From what I saw machine layout was quite reasonable. As for cleanliness, certainly reasonable and not surprising for someone gifted enough to assemble such a well equipped shop for their own personal use in my opinion. I would expect nothing less in my opinion from someone who spent a career like you had. Indiciive of your eye for details are the stickers on the wall that identify where fire extinguishers hang! That one detail alone told me the whole story about your shop! That one simple observation for me, was very telling.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 10:58:44 PM »
I don't know that I am ever deserving, but I am always more than grateful for the kindnesses bestowed upon me by the benevolence of others.

Several members here have been very generous to me both recently, and in the past. Some, on multiple occasions I should add! I am definitely in a position where I seek opportunities to pay those kindnesses forward whenever instances present themselves.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 09:35:01 AM »
oldnslo stands shamed in the corner, after viewing his collection of 2 hand held drills. A 3/8" and 1/2". They are Milwaukee of course and get their fair share of work duty.

Very nice setup. <--- insert jaw drop emoji here

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 10:54:27 AM »
OCG: Thanks for showing us around!

UB: I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

oldnslo: As long as you have what you need to do the job is all that matters.

Lou Manglass

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 12:02:36 PM »
You may wonder what's in the cabinets next to my radial drill press.. The Horrible Freight was once red,, needless to say I painted the outsides blue..

More drill chucks, Mostly Jacobs Ball Bearing, no less along with a box of misc Morse taper arbors to Jacobs adapter..

Misc drills bits in the next four drawers, some straight shank, other Morse Taper

New drill bit sets.. One has number, fraction. and letter.. No doubt there's another 10 full sets of drill  bits around

The far left cabinet has yet to be recovered from the fire.. The tubes are filled with never used drills bits

Offline zeke

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 01:50:57 PM »
Like the rest of us, od drill bits — can't throw them away. "I might have a use for that someday." — Mr. Pete.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 04:12:25 PM »
Man that is a lot of drill bits! I feel lucky to have complete sets of letter, number, and fractional bits. I also have a very basis set of Silver and Demming bits going to 1" and a set of left hand cobalt bits up to 1/2" size.

The only thing I can crow about is all of my bits are USA quality like GTD, Cleveland, Norseman, and Triumph.  I  do have multiple sets of fractional bits. I can't say how many.

I lucked out and got 3 Hout bit boxes, the kind with the pullout drawers and individual slots for every bit size for $20 each used at a shop closing down around 20 years or so back. The fractional is about full. The other two boxes have plenty of room LOL

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 04:31:15 PM »
I have quite a number of metric drill bits and taps, some quite large. I don't recall ever using even one of those.

I  got the metric stuff free in the early 1990's.  At the time I worked for a Cat attachment and machine conversion plant that is now just another Cat plant after they got bought out. Anyway,  at the time, Peoria sent several huge skids of metric drill bits and taps to the plant where I worked in Kansas I think just to unload the stuff. All of it was production quality,  and new. Many of the big bits were still in their cardboard tubes! Anyway,  it sat around for several years until they decided to just scrap the whole lot of them!

Word went out that any employee wanting some of the bits and taps could take what they wanted of the stuff. For my end, I took everything smaller than approximately 1" in every size that I could dig out. I took multiples of the smaller sizes, every different size I could find. All told maybe 60-75lbs of bits and taps, perhaps much more than that!

I  guess I should have tried harder to find applications for them and opportunities to use them.  That was the original plan Anyway. Here I am roughly 32 years later and I don't recall ever using even one of them! LOL

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2024, 06:22:52 PM »
You're my kind of man. What's one person's junk, is another's treasure.. I'm have always been on the lookout at actions for so many finds. I have two 115 piece sets of new bright made in the USA drill bit sets purchased that way. Along with three sets of Silver and Demming with 1/2" shanks to 1" Diameter, and two sets with 3/4" shanks up to 2" diameter. Most all my drill bits are USA made. I do have several 29 piece sets from Horrible Freight.. They're in my motor homes and don't worry about trashing them..