Author Topic: Screwdrivers, here we go again.  (Read 4017 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Screwdrivers, here we go again.
« on: July 27, 2021, 12:55:14 AM »
Well it's been over a year and I have decided to begin my screwdriver search again, I just felt like trying some more hard handle screwdrivers in the process of finding what I like most.

I have really loved the 100+ drivers, they are just plain great.
Good tips and I love the handles, they could be my favorite but I haven't tried enough yet to really know.

I have also liked the Pratt-Read essential series drivers I bought at the same time , the tip quality and fit...ect has been just fine and the handles may not be the most perfect shape ever but the sizing is appropriate and theres really nothing particularly wrong with the shape.
Perfect for my house / go box, but they would be especially slippery in greasy oily situations even for an acetate handle.

So where does this pick back up ?

I just ordered a bunch of the Channellock acetate handles .
I probably should have just started a bit smaller only adding a 6pc set and stubby 1/4 to the 6-1 and stubby #2 I already have,  but I love Channellock so I impulsively went whole hog.

I also decided to order a 10pc Tekton hard handle set.
I believe I said before I wanted something more traditional but I've been hearing so many good things I decided to try some, the price was right and I realized that while they're not exactly classic they're not funky looking at all.

Btw I have since given away a bunch of the WF Craftsman screwdrivers to my buddy, I believe I planned to keep them but just didn't need 'em anymore.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 01:08:11 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

Re: Screwdrivers, here we go again.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:46:49 AM »
The further you go down the screwdriver rabbit hole the more you realize just how sorry the Craftsman were.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 11:04:39 AM »
The further you go down the screwdriver rabbit hole the more you realize just how sorry the Craftsman were.
Pretty much.

The fattest handles on the standards felt fine as did the #2 and 1/4 stubbies but that's it.
The tips could be worse but I just couldn't live with those undersized handles any more.

The #1's are also way too pointy.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
I have been doing some digging for information,  and I think I may have nailed down the skinny on these Tekton screwdrivers.

A rep has said that the handles and shanks come from different manufacturers,  and their website lists a manufacturing partner from Michigan.

That would point to Pratt-Read for the shanks ,  not that they don't scream P-R just looking at them  anyways.
The handles are probably made by WILDE, they already have a relationship with Wilde, and Wilde uses a red nylon for their prybar handles.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:59:15 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 04:15:16 PM »
I like that Tekton lists country of origin at the bottom of each product page. When you click on a single product the COO shows up under specs at the bottom of the page.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 04:57:12 PM »
I like that too,  and their website is very user friendly.

This will be my first Tekton purchase because the screwdrivers are about the only domestic tools that are exclusive to them, but I will not hesitate to browse their site for future tool needs.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:59:51 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 08:39:23 PM »
Make sure you do a write up on those tektons once you get them! I'm in need of a set for the home tool set.  I'm debating putting together a set from Harry Epstein, but those look like a good set at a great price.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:42:45 PM by muddy »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 09:25:09 PM »
Make sure you do a write up on those tektons once you get them! I'm in need of a set for the home tool set.  I'm debating putting together a set from Harry Epstein, but those look like a good set at a great price.

Will do.
The 10pc set was only $35.
That's considerably more than you'd pay for Craftsman master mechanic or masterforce, so I'm hoping that means they are of a higher quality.
You certainly don't pay for the name with Tekton tools, so the extra cost has gotta come from somewhere.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 09:29:09 PM »
Those Tektons look nice.  :great:

In the past I grabbed whatever screwdriver was near by. But with the onset of arthritis, that shape of handle makes the driver so much easier to use.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 11:49:52 PM »
Those Tektons look nice.  :great:

In the past I grabbed whatever screwdriver was near by. But with the onset of arthritis, that shape of handle makes the driver so much easier to use.
I was always fine with the Craftsman handles till I started thinking about it.
I came across an old Proto yellow handled 1/4 from my grandfather and when I picked it up and held it, it just felt great and had me thinking about screwdriver handle ergonomics.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 02:29:36 PM »
I just got them in and on first impressions I really like the handles, the sizes are overall very appropriate for each driver.

The stubbies are a little large, but I don't necessarily hate that and can probably get used to it.

They're larger and less pronounced in the contours, but I would say if you like the old yellow handle PROTO's you might like these.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:42:58 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 02:41:29 PM »
Here are some comparison shots with other common options that I have,I don't have full sets of all of these but it should give you a good idea.

Heres the medium handles #p1...ect
post pictures
The smallest handles #p0...ect.

The standard #p2 and 1/4"...ect, the picture is a bit deceptive,  but hopefully it gives you a good idea of how they compare

I guess their " standard " size handle would be more of a large, because it's the same for their #1 and 5/16.
Both brands are using one handle size here, it's the camera angle making the back ones look smaller.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:03:28 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 08:10:13 PM »
Thanks! Definitely gonna grab a set!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 08:52:39 PM »

I just noticed that my #p0 was a tad bent, but it straightened out easily and you can't even tell.

Every other driver is straight as an arrow including the 1/8 which is the same shank size, so I'm sure it was just a fluke.

It is something to keep an eye out for though.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 09:57:56 PM »
I grabbed some random screws and a scrap of 2×4 for some testing,  and I am very pleased.

The handle shape is really growing on me, it provides a great grip without any hotspots because it doesn't use a bunch of pronounced lobes.

I thought the stubbies might prove a little oversized, but they actually work out great in my hand when real toque is being applied. Things may be different when trying to quickly spin out a loosened machine screw.

The Phillips fit well too, even on these red and green painted screws I had a bunch of packets of.

Do you think the extra flat tips on them has something to do with it ?
Always lookin' to learn