Author Topic: Samson Tractor Tool  (Read 2929 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Samson Tractor Tool
« on: May 16, 2021, 09:56:07 AM »
Forgot I had this in a box of old tools from my grandfather's farm.

My searches come up with it being a tractor tool from the Samson Tractor Co..  Appears to have been originally painted red with a raised 750367 on one side.

Anyone collect these? 
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

Re: Samson Tractor Tool
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 10:31:18 AM »
Interested wrench.

The one angled end gives it a different look. At first glance I thought it was field modified, but then upon closer inspection noticed the forged rib goes around that bend. So that's the factory look.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 10:45:11 AM »
If that was my grandfather's wrench it would have a place of honor on the wall. Very nice of you to ask if anybody collects them though.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 11:35:09 AM »
If that was my grandfather's wrench it would have a place of honor on the wall. Very nice of you to ask if anybody collects them though.
Grandpa has been gone since 1968 and as a child I always regarded him as a simple farmer until I found his WWI draft card on Ancestry.com.  At that time he was a machinist at the Nash Motor Car Company in Kenosha WI. I have a number of things of his and this is just sitting in a toolbox - better to help someone with their collection.

More information on the wrench from Wrenching News:  The original Janesville Machine "B" wrench was changed to Samson 750367 when they were bought out by GM who also bought out Samson and in 1919 consolidated operations in Janesville WI. Closed in 1923 when the plant was transferred to Chevrolet and then closed it in 2008.  My father worked there in the 1950's before driving semi-truck for the local brewery.

Also found a similar farm wrench with the name "SHARES".  Same site says this was listed under repairs for the Janesville Tractor Gang Plow.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 10:18:47 PM »
The wrench with SHARES, I wonder if it was meant for unbolting the plow share,  the big cutting edge plate?  The Samson tractor,  Star automobile, the Durant auto, was an interesting period, when they were owned by the man what started General Motors.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 11:56:49 PM »
While I do collect tractors (those on tracks), I was part of a local organization that put on antique tractor pulls, and display shows. I know of a collector that has 2 Sampsons here in town.

If its available, drop me a PM, and advise of the price please.

Thanks!

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 09:22:20 PM »
My grandfather had lots of that style running around the farm. I saved the John Deere one.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 08:53:35 PM »
I have a boxfull of old tractor wrenches. They just dont seem to appeal to me. Love the tractors but the tools just dont get me worked up.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 10:12:22 PM »
I have a boxfull of old tractor wrenches. They just dont seem to appeal to me. Love the tractors but the tools just dont get me worked up.

It would be different if the wrenches had Williams on them. :))