VEHICLES > Bikes/Trikes/Choppers/Scooters & etc.

Two Wheels, One Ticker, and Endless Roads

<< < (2/3) > >>

goodfellow:
Absolutely agree guys! No amount of advertising would convince me to ever park an e-vehicle in my garage. At best I'd park it in an open car-port to keep it partially safe from the elements. I've had Li batteries explode, and had a few close calls with faulty low quality charging stations. I can just imagine what an inferno an entire automotive battery sled would produce.  ---- no way!!!

Uncle Buck:
How many machines did you lose in that fire?

Also, I am thinking you repainted and re-stickered your Mohawk car lift. I remember only ever seeing those as red in color?

oldcarguy:
The insurance company flew in several experts that spent days tagging everything to determine what could be salvaged and the fair market value of the equipment. These experts concluded nothing could be salvaged. What the fire, heat, along with the fumes didn't do. The fire fighter's water accomplished. A total loss. Including 15 main machines along with tool boxes, cabinets, shelving, tables, precision &  hand tools, and yes the Mohawk Lift was a goner. I didn't wish to dicker with them. As I know that I could bring most of it back. However I'd need another 20 years to accomplish. I took apart the Mohawk, reworked the cylinders, re-chromed the piston rods, and replaced all the seals. And you are correct, factory color was a drab red. But painted it blue to match the color scheme of the shop. I used a Rust-Oleum oil based paint with a hardener. Then applied an automotive clear coated. Same for any cabinets, tables, die trucks, etc.  Even the Graymills parts washer was red,, now blue.. The you ever see a Craftsman roller tool chest that wasn't red? I went to lengths finding blue air hoses & reels, floor mats, etc.. Did I mention that blue is my favorite color?

Three machines that couldn't be replaced. I rebuilt the Kearney Trecker Rotary Head Milling Machine, The G&E Shaper, along with the Deckel Tool and Cutter Grinder. The Rotary Head Mill was my father's favorite machine. I purchased a 1955 newer version 30 years ago. The 1946 model he ran.  The Shaper was the first machine I learned to run when I was 14. Also an obsolete machine that came off a WWII battleship. The Deckle stopped making their Cutter Grinder and only poor quality Chinese crap available today..

I chose to paint them i. OEM gray

Uncle Buck:
Machines are supposed to be gray in my opinion. The blue is a nice choice and great contrast to the gray. Pop use to have a friend with a well equipped shop and did a lot of side work and evening jobs. His prize machine was on old KT that I recall as a twin to yours. I recall he was very proud that he had the cherrying attachment for his machine. To be honest,  I don't recall what the cherrying attachment did, but was quite impressed with his home shop.

Uncle Buck:
BTW, that CM box came out beautiful!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version