VEHICLES > DAILY DRIVERS/GROCERY GETTERS

So Refined,, You'll be tempted to call it James... 1998 GMC Jimmy

(1/4) > >>

oldcarguy:
1998 GMC Jimmy SLT two-door SUV

One of the advertising slogans GMC use in 1998 to promote their smaller SUV. I purchased this JIMMY with 90,000 miles 15 years ago for $500.00 cash. The engine was knocking and a bad transmission no A/C. Along with a damaged front bumper and some other body.. More than a rubbing compound fix..

I yanked the engine and totally rebuilt it. Along with the transmission and transfer case. Put a new radiator, A/C compressor, condenser, and evaporator. Plus replaced all the brakes and tires. Then replaced the front bumper cover and touched up the paint here and there. I spent less than $2,000.00 in parts and paint. I figure my time is cheap. Cannot put a price tag on the time I spent with several grandsons. And the education they received. After all this it has given me 60,000 trouble free miles. Easy to handle, get in small places. Everything works. Four-wheel drive, Power steering & brakes, A/C, heater, power windows, Radio with both disc player and cassette deck, power mirrors, and locks, power seats, power windows, and a remote start with alarm system that I added added.

This is a perfect car.. Out of the blue I was offered $6,000.00 cash that I decided to accept. Now I say, “why purchase a new car?” In 15 years it cost me $2,500.00 in original investment. That's $170.00 per month or $.05 per mile. That's not even a down payment today. And my time was more than offset by the camaraderie with my grand-kids..

john k:
Am glad GM upgraded that vehicle from the 86 S-10 Blazer I owned.  It had 40k miles and wife liked it.   Was 4x4 and did okay for a year.  The tiny V-6 was gutless and trying to keep up with traffic on vacation it delivered 14. Mpg.  Discovered this engine had the notorious intake gasket leak, antifreeze diluted the motor oil, which ruined the rod bearings.  Had to do a quick in chassis fix, should have replaced the crankshaft, but no time or money for that.  Spent too many late night in the shop keeping that turkey going.  Problems with the 4x4 shifter and a half dozen other things.   Was so happy when it went down the road.  Sounds like you had a good one. 

oldcarguy:
We had a saying for a car that could not be fixed. A Monday Morning Car. I  purchased a 1995 Oldsmobile Aurora for my oldest daughter. Who thought it was the perfect car. The best thing about this car is that it was GM's policy to give a loaner of equal value. They were trying to keep a good image of the newly designed Aurora. It was a total disaster. The final straw came after on the seventh time behind a tow truck in nine months. At that point I handed over the keys and asked for a refund. Withing two weeks I had a check covering the purchase price plus taxes, fees, and plates...  GM made it good...

That wasn't the case with this Jimmy. Folks today think all a car needs is gas in the tank and a set of keys for happy motoring. This car was abused operating with no oil caused its' failure at 95,000 miles. Jimmy's made around 2000 had an issue of dropping in and out on fourth gear. Actually a simply fix; but left unchecked would do the number to the transmission. Fix it right the first time is my motto... After my repairs it became a sweet car! A pleasure to drive, smooth quiet and sufficient power, good mileage 18 to 21 MPG all the while trouble free.

bonneyman:
Nice truck and great deal! Someone offering to lay down some serious cash for it just goes to show how inflated the current market is. Good used cars re getting good offers on them.   :clap:

oldcarguy:
Well said! The market is hot for a good used car. Even if it's 25 years old. Plus timing is everything. We just had a snow storm, and premiums are paid for four-wheel-drives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version