General Category > POLITICS (IF YOU DO NOT LIKE POLITICS, THEN DON'T GO IN HERE!

No more Tyson chicken for me

<< < (2/3) > >>

fatfillup:
With all the reporting laws for workers, I am surprised that a big corp can get away with mass illegals workers.  Sure some will slip through the cracks but I would think the fines would kill them if enforced. 

slip knot:
Phil, Agriculture has used immigrant labor forever. Most of the temp visa's issued are for ag. And big ag has lots of political influence. There is a big meat packer in Corpus that regularly overloads the utilities leaving the facility. The EPA turns a blind eye to it.

fatfillup:
I know immigrant labor has been used forever in ag and the ones with temp visas are legal.

Just surprised if a big corp can get away with a lot of illegals on the payroll long term.  I thought every hire had to be documented to be legal to work in this country unless that law is ignored and it may well be.

And the temp visa lottery is one reason I have no use for either party.  We need more temp visas, I think most would agree.  I know in Maryland, crabs don't get picked if the packing houses can't get temp help.  Such a simple problem to solve in immigration reform and it hasn't happened.  No, they want every solution to be lumped in with huge bills that can't make it out of committee and NOTHING changes.

walrus:
I think you will find more that the AG industry uses migrant labor, unskilled labor in the construction industry is pretty ripe with new "Americans"  . The big solar facilities you see are put together by migrants. In Maine you have to be a licensed electrician to install panels so they truck in labor on Friday, put thousand of panels up on Sat and Sun and ship them out while electricians do the hook up when inspectors might be around.

slip knot:
In my area the illegals run the trades. You will find very few americans work in the home building industry anymore. Even commercial construction is majority migrants. in 2014 we built a new $20million + treatment facility. During the preconstruction meetings the General contractor stated that they would close each year the week of Christmas and new years and no one would be available if anything went wrong. All of his workers went back home to Mexico for the holidays and if the told one to stay they would all quit. So they got two weeks off.

I hired an electrician some years back. A few weeks into the job he was called to HR because his name didn't match his SS# I figured they would fire him but he showed back up later that day. I asked him how many SS#'s he had...3 different SS#'s for 3 different names. He had two wives too, one in the states and one back home in Mexico. But they weren't married to the same guy, different names and all. Jose was quite the character.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version