TOOLS AND THE SHOP > MACHINE SHOP

Feeding the addiction!

(1/18) > >>

Uncle Buck:
I can't seem to shake occasionally buying tools I have little likelihood of ever needing, or using. I am speaking of precision measuring equipment right now. For some years I have had micrometers up to 6" in capacity which for most guys dinking around a home shop should more than meet their needs, if not exceed their needs. I think all except one I bought new and are either Starrett, or Mitutoyo.  I don't recall ever using anything but maybe the 1,2 and 3 inch sizes, and not once ever using the larger sizes. So, why on earth do I keep looking at buying  used 7, 8 and 9" sizes on the cheap? I have resisted so far, but one of these days in a moment of weakness I bet I buy a used 7", probably a Lufkin because they are often cheaper and I am a fan of them.

I think guys like me can slow down buying tools you really don't need, but much like an alcoholic you keep the addiction until you die! LOL

goodfellow:
I'm with ya Herb! Like you I've have lots of tools for most everything I'll ever need to do either mechanically or metalworking. That said, I can't resist good measuring tools at yard sales and auctions. Like you, I look at the off-brands as well. Everyone wants Starrett, Mitutoyo, or Brown & Sharpe while the off brands are ignored. I also go for Lufkin, Craftsman (mostly Starrett), NSK, and  Scheer - Tumico. They usually sell for much less --

Uncle Buck:
Exactly! The lesser known and appreciated brands are a magnet for me. An even older and much more likely to be passed over brands that I have bought several of used and gave my dad when he was still alive J.T. Slowcumb brand is also worth consideration used. Lufkin I greatly favor. I like everything Lufkin I ever bought. I think this is because as a kid, my dad had only one mic, a 1" with an army green colored frame. Pop taught me how to read a mic, how to properly hold a mic, and the rules of care for a mic with that old Lufkin. Of all the mics I own that old 1" Lufkin is my favorite for obvious reasons.

Through the years I added depth mics, ID mics, dial indicator sets, mag bases, dial calipers, dividers, combination squares, small hole gage sets and telescoping gages and numerous other odds and ends. Aside from larger mic sizes I am looking to add a set of V blocks and clamps and a set of adjustable parallels.  It is like I never find an end to just one or two more odds and ends that I see great benfit in having. So there ya go, it just never ends.

Uncle Buck:
Also, Craftsman brand and Gem are always up for consideration for me. For some things I give equal consideration to even General brand stuff! One brand I am less drawn to, but would consider is Central brand usually the brand sold off of the tool trucks. For some reason I was just never drawn to the Central brand.

oldcarguy:
I understand the addiction to precision measuring instruments. I purchase this Lufkin # 1911 one inch micrometer new 60 years ago, and even have the box it came in.. It's my go to micrometer yet today. Over the years I have added a number more to keep it company in my Gerstner tool chest.

did someone mention adjustable parallels? Along with a planer set gage and some homemade angle setting triangles and precision squares.

If that is not enough. I have two sets of 0-6” and one set of 6” to 12” in a cabinet...

Here's my first set of vernier calipers. No dials or digital readout. The oustide scale in on one side, while the inside on the flip side of the calipers.  Need a good set of eyes reading them; but accuracy could easily done. I have at least six more sets of dial and or digital 6” calipers, one set 12” and one set 24”..

Two sets of  internal micrometer to 12”. Numberous sets of depth micromters. One 2” base, most are 4” bases, and one is 5” base.. Then I have a blade 0-6” set depth mics that handy to get into narrow places or small ledges..

I have three 12” dial height gages and one 18”. I prefer a dial over digital if not having to replace batteries..

Several sets of precision (inspection grade) gage block sets

Pin gages from .010" to .625" in .001" incriements..

Numeroius indicators and plate gages.  Then there's this milling machine head tramming indicator. To true a mill head to the table.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version