TOOLS AND THE SHOP > MACHINE SHOP

Feeding the addiction!

<< < (17/18) > >>

oldcarguy:
I often think of days gone by. The pride a machinist had purchasing new precision tools. And the stories they could tell about the work they performed. The purchase price had to been a good percentage of their wages of the day. No doubt the craftsmen took meticulous care of each and every tool. As his work depending on it. The size of the protractor head may be small. But their accuracy is amazing. Plus you get a better feel with a small tool, rather than lugging a pound gadget.

I have a dozen old precise spring calipers sets that are wonder tools. Old timer relied on them for so many measurements. And could work to tenth's with them... Today I seldom see the younger generation of machinists use them let alone purchase them...   

Uncle Buck:
I cannot say that I have used them much, but I have several. But I have also never worked as a machinist for a living. The closest I got was a machine operator in a mfg company.

I did take several semesters of Night classes in Machine Technology for fun though years ago. I did learn quite a bit though.

oldcarguy:
The Blades are complete. I'll put some rust preventive on them and package them for shipping. Then drop them off at the post office tomorrow and you should have them in a few days..

Below is an earlier picture some fine cross scratches can be seen on the blades. That's from sliding the blade across the magnet to remove them from the magnetic chuck An electromagnetic chuck has a built in demagnetizer that will work. But my chuck is permanent magnetic.. .  The water suctions the blade to the chuck. And fine grits does the number removing the thin blades. On a taller piece you can tilt and pull it off one the front edge. Without sliding.. There are several solutions. One would be to use an air hose to release the suction. But my father along with most good machinists would heavily frown on that practice. NEVER blow air in or around machinery, as it'll blow grit into critical places and mess up the machine.

The second trick I used. Placing a piece of wax type paper between the work piece and chuck. Don't use regular paper, it will break into pieces and clog the coolant system.. Then the work will slide across the chuck without putting any scratches on the work piece...

Uncle Buck:
Those turned out absolutely stunning. The case will be here by Saturday so the blades will have the perfect place to live when they arrive. Friday is my payday and will be the day I PayPal Rusty the site donation as we discussed on your behalf.

I just never dreamed this could have ever worked out this well for me. I will tell you this, there is a whole lot more to making quality blades than I ever imagined! That was quite a lesson in just how little I really do know! 😆

The Magic Ratchet:
It was an education for all of us. Thank You OCG.

Lou Manglass

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version