Author Topic: Dealer trans service  (Read 4490 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Dealer trans service
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 08:45:33 PM »
When I was in college in the early 70's, we washed the front and rear windows, checked washer fluid, coolant, and oil. I even checked/filled tires for free.

Granted, the gas prices were a few cents more than self-service stations just starting to pop up, but looking back it was worth it for the driver who didn't want to DIY.

Now, people pretty much have no choice, they have to pump their own. When was the last time you saw someone checking under their hood?

I did see a distressed woman at the local gas station looking for the spot to put in a quart of oil -- because her change oil message came on in her Cadillac.  :-[

Don't you know there's a app for that?  :D

Offline john k

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2021, 09:25:58 PM »
I also remember working in a full service station, 60s-70s.  Quick oil change with ice water dripping down your neck.   Running out in the sub-zero cold to pump  gas, then back inside, back out to  shut it off, back in, then out again to give out change.  Keep the office at 75 degrees so you can warm up, but keep the parka on, because another car pulls in.  Nose running all winter, hands froze, because it wasn't worth it to pull gloves off n on every 2 minutes.  And shovel the snow away from the pumps.  Then if you have a lull, jump in the boss's old Jeep CJ with the blade to clear off the white stuff, of course the heater in the old rig didnt work too well.  It was an education.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2021, 08:38:36 AM »
I also remember working in a full service station, 60s-70s.  Quick oil change with ice water dripping down your neck.   Running out in the sub-zero cold to pump  gas, then back inside, back out to  shut it off, back in, then out again to give out change.  Keep the office at 75 degrees so you can warm up, but keep the parka on, because another car pulls in.  Nose running all winter, hands froze, because it wasn't worth it to pull gloves off n on every 2 minutes.  And shovel the snow away from the pumps.  Then if you have a lull, jump in the boss's old Jeep CJ with the blade to clear off the white stuff, of course the heater in the old rig didnt work too well.  It was an education.

I think I had it a bit easier in SoCal. My biggest problem was cleaning a hot windshield and leaving no streaks. A good part of cleaning the windshield was girls in short skirts.  :-\

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2021, 09:10:26 AM »
That was my experience too! I worked in the busiest Mobil station in Buffalo - more gas and more tires than any other Mobil station.

But the snow! It would get so deep, it had to be trucked out and dumped in the river!  :-\

The snow and wind off of Lake Erie would close the Skyway. It was scary in good weather!
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher