Author Topic: Service the Freedom 42  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Elroy

Re: Service the Freedom 42
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 08:44:32 PM »
much better

Offline muddy

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2022, 07:37:30 PM »
I'll say that fan was garbage! Good catch! That'll keep the hydro cool.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Online oldnslo

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 10:59:08 AM »
I finished my mower "maintenance" about 3 weeks ago, but I wont bother all with the pics. Its a Scotts (JD made) that just refuses to quit despite me being less than kind to it from time to time. On top of that I bought it used!!

My recent experience with fixing a hydrostatic tranny leak on this was quite rewarding. Made by Tuff Torque, it looks scary from the outside but take your time, and you will be quite surprised at its simplicity if you rip it open.

I needed to replace the input shaft (fan shaft) after it becoming a bit worn on the splines. Easy, cheap, no need to split the tranny. I needed to split the tranny after fooling around with the "pull it out of gear" lever that allows you to roll the tractor. Good thing I did, because tugging on that lever (and shaft) dislodged a small circlip that I needed to discover in the oil. There are lots of videos on YT that document the fluid change (many dont have drain plugs, like mine), and general maintenance like the internal filter, cleaning the oil magnet etc.

Don't be skeeered with pulling it apart. Take your time. Have your parts in advance. Know the oil you will be refilling it with, and you'll be golden.

Nice machine there Elroy