Author Topic: Removing broken bolt video: What do you guys think?  (Read 2463 times)

Offline bonneyman

Removing broken bolt video: What do you guys think?
« on: October 25, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
I came across this video - guy seems knowledgeable as heck with what he's doing. And I get most of it.

But I'm no expert. It's a 36 minute video, but, I'm wondering what you guys think who have alot more experience doing this kind of thing.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Removing broken bolt video: What do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
After grinding it down flush, I would have welded a large nut (rather than a bolt) to the stud. The stud's long length flexes too much under heavy torque load. Also, once the heat dissipated the stud got stuck again -- better to do several heatings and remove the stud slowly rather than try to forward/reverse the thing with one heating cycle.

A good lubricant would probably also help in the removal.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 08:09:34 PM »
What kind of a hack does this guy think he is? Just grind it down and leave it and let the remaining bolts do the job.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »
Its a thru bolt, just drill it out and use a long bolt and nut.

1/4in looks about right grade2 would be best. Then beat the threads over if there are any sticking out past the nut. you don't need a lock washer that way.