Author Topic: Ten years on -- HF Mid-Rise scissor lift  (Read 8889 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Ten years on -- HF Mid-Rise scissor lift
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
This thing was a bargain at the time -- and it's held up very well in over a decade of service. Here's when it was first set up in the garage.

Mid-rise HF lift. Got it back in in 2009 and have been "tickled pink" with the capability of this mid-rise. I actually measured the height at full extension and it's 57". I can put a mechanics stool under there and "voila" -- no more back problems. Short of dropping a transmission, I can do most under car maintenace without contorting myself.
For my small space, this was the only option. Anyone else use a mid-rise?

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Ten years on -- HF Mid-Rise scissor lift
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:33:10 PM »
I've had this lift for some time now, and have used the hell out of it. It has cycled a few hundred times and has performed well. However, there is one flaw (which I was aware of at the biginning) -- the manual brake-type safety handle release. The pump stand has a perpendicular mount for attaching the release handle and cable. However, that layout coupled with a VERY strong safety release spring on the lift put a lot of stress on the cable. The routing of the brake handle also forces the cable to run a very tight radius around the pump and put additional stress on the cabel.

After many cycles, my cable sheathing actually split due to the amount of force needed to release and hold the safety and the tight routing of the brake cable around the pump. You have to hold this handle about two minutes while the lift is lowering so the stress is very high.

To fix this problem I first replaced the VERY heavy safety return spring on the lift with a slightly lighter spring. Tension is still plenty strong, but not overwhelming and can be easily cycled with a firm grip on the brake handle, and I mounted the brake handle on the back of the vertical support tube facing down, This effectively eliminates the tight reverse loop which causes a lot of additional stress on the cable.

Now the entire unit is very easy release and hold, without putting a whole lot of stress on the cable (or the operator)

Hope this helps a few of you guys that are contemplating a mid-rise purchase