Author Topic: Fixing a frying pan  (Read 3587 times)

Offline bonneyman

Fixing a frying pan
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »
After uploading pics to the dark side I figured I might as well show them here.
When my bride and I were first married we bought a Farberware deep frying pan. $60 for one pan was alot back then, but we bought a well-known name brand so thought it was worth it. Wouldn't you know it, but within a year the spot welds holding the handle on starting coming loose. If that were to let go when it was full of hot sauce or grease that could be a really bad thing! I know nothing lasts forever but geez only a year on a quality item?
I punched out the welds with a Whitney punch, and re-attached the handle using some SS nuts and bolts from Ace Hardware. Figured the fasteners being SS should eliminate any galvanic corrosion between them and the pan, the exposed heads should resist acidic foods, and thermal expansion shouldn't be an issue. I had to grind down a few of the hex flats on the nuts so the handle sheath would fit but I'm happy to report after 20 years worth of use there's been no loosening or other problems with that pan. I think this is the first job of fixing that I did when I got married.
Here's what the factory spot welds look like (from the other handle on the far side of the pan) and my Macgyver repair.

Offline fatfillup

Re: Fixing a frying pan
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
So how many times did she whack you with the frying pan before the welds started giving out? :93:

Nice repair.  Now with your new diet, guess the pan won't see a lot of use.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 10:18:16 AM »
Looks good.  A lot of people would've been wasteful and thrown it out.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »
Nice work.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 01:43:09 PM »
Good job.
In my experience everything farberwear, at least these days anyways is garbage.

I've been slowly making the switch to American Lodge Cast iron, but for saucepans I still love my grandmother's Club Cast Aluminum from the 70's.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 04:24:27 PM »
So how many times did she whack you with the frying pan before the welds started giving out? :93:

Thankfully the SS cookware is for cooking duty only. For husband adjustments she brings out the cast iron.    :021:

Actually doing a lot of sauteing with the veggies. I'll never be a vegan, but cutting down on meat does seem to help.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 07:48:29 PM »

cutting down on meat does seem to help.

In what way ?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »

cutting down on meat does seem to help.

In what way ?

I've heard meat is tough on the system. Makes the body acidic, and causes inflammation and irritation in the blood vessels. Hence, your BP goes up. So less meat lets things relax and the BP drops - at one point I measured 119/59!
But going totally meatless just isn't sustainable for me. I can probably do 3 or 4 meta meals a week - no less.

Taking carrot/celery/apple juice also helps. Found out from 3 sources that celery juice has natural nitrates in them, which help relax blood vessels and lower BP. In a juicer it's not too bad.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 10:12:17 PM »

I/m guessing that is what broke the welds....... :lol_hitting:
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 08:39:09 AM »
Nice job on the pan.  Obviously it has held up well, and over a long period of time too.  I enjoy reading about your fixes and repairs, something that is becoming a lost art.  Maybe a young tech will see your work and be inspired to repair some of the unmaintainable junk that is produced today.

My Grandfather, Father, and I all had/have Hypertension.  Those are good numbers,  whatever you are doing for diet and lifestyle is working.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
Nice job on the pan.  Obviously it has held up well, and over a long period of time too.  I enjoy reading about your fixes and repairs, something that is becoming a lost art.  Maybe a young tech will see your work and be inspired to repair some of the unmaintainable junk that is produced today.

My Grandfather, Father, and I all had/have Hypertension.  Those are good numbers,  whatever you are doing for diet and lifestyle is working.

I appreciate the kind words. I hope to inspire others to fix things while giving you experienced guys things to ponder.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:30:35 AM by bonneyman »

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 09:20:58 PM »
Bet the misses is happy. I've found that what I might find as junk I'd usually one of her favorite kitchen tools.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 09:22:54 PM »
Bet the misses is happy. I've found that what I might find as junk I'd usually one of her favorite kitchen tools.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Sometimes I get lucky - something I like she likes, too.    :93:

Like the Jar Key. priceless!
http://www.brixdesign.com/388/jarkey-jar-opener