Author Topic: Local real estate market  (Read 5022 times)

Offline fatfillup

Local real estate market
« on: September 08, 2020, 08:14:50 AM »
The local market has been crazy good for sellers locally.  On my street of about 20 houses, 4 have sold in the last year and all moved quickly.  One just went on the market friday and the traffic has been non stop all weekend.  I believe they were taking offers until  today and will almost assuredly sell it, most likely for over list.  To be fair, the house was completely renovated by pro flippers who lived there for about a year.  It looks real nice inside and out so interest is high.  We also live in a desirable neighborhood as we are on a dead end street, in a great school district and 15 minutes off the Baltimore beltway.

If a property comes on  the market you have better look at it within a day or 2 or it will be gone.  We missed a couple of places ourselves that way.  Didn't see them quick enough

Inventory is low and demand is high.  will settle out sooner or later but right now is a great time to sell

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Local real estate market
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:48:46 AM »
yea,,,,,,,,but do they know there is a crotchety old tool collector disguised as a pressure washer salesman who is way overchicked that lives in the neighborhood?

i even heard he serves cookies in church!  ;)
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 09:12:40 AM »
It seems real estate outside of cities is on fire. A good friend of mine is a realtor around INDY, she was saying people in the inner city are moving to the suburbs, people in the suburbs are moving into rural areas, and you cant give away apartments down town. She said a majority of it is people who no longer have to work in the office and now work remotely. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »
Neighbors just sold their house last month. They were overwhelmed with offers, and actually received $20K over asking price. What's really interesting is that the majority of interested parties were from the NJ or NYC area. Yankees are fleeing their cities in droves.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 10:06:51 AM »
I have not seen any change in home sales in my immediate neighborhood (I do keep an eye on things!) but I keep hearing about all the Calif transplants flooding into Arizona.

Although I am seeing alot more traffic on the roads these days. I know some of it might be people just getting out after the COVID lockdown, but it really seems like the levels of traffic seen during the winter months with the "snow birds". Yet it's still record breaking heat in September.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:21:39 AM »
yea,,,,,,,,but do they know there is a crotchety old tool collector disguised as a pressure washer salesman who is way overchicked that lives in the neighborhood?

I didn't know people thought I was crotchety  :017:

And you made Mama smile too :))

Highland, makes alot of sense about folks wanting to move out of the city

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 11:45:01 AM »
Yeah my dreams of finding a cheaper place in Wy are over. the local guy I talked to said everything's selling like hot cakes. :41:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 11:57:43 AM »
We are getting the people fleeing Calif like crazy. New homes usually have buyers waiting for it to be finished. I'm really surprised that the neighbor down the road hasn't been able to sell her place that is 7 acres with horse facilities but the asking price is too high I feel. New townhomes in town are selling quick and there are no rentals available.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 12:11:54 PM »

I didn't know people thought I was crotchety  :017:

And you made Mama smile too :))

Highland, makes alot of sense about folks wanting to move out of the city
I had to come up with something not terribly offensive. Have you ever said?  Get off my lawn!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 03:02:06 PM »
I lease hunting rights through Base Camp, and they also sell real estate.  My Missouri rep told me recently that the real estate section is almost unable to keep any smaller rural properties in inventory.  He thinks the city people are buying "Just in case"!

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 05:23:32 PM »
I live in a suburb of Nashville and am moving out farther in the country. The COVID lockdowns started the mass exodus from downtown to the burbs, and then the riots just turned up the heat. And then throw in the people moving here from  California and New York the area is hot To say the least.

Oh yeah,  I will be putting my place up for sale in a couple of months and expect to do very well, while I locked in the price for our new house last January.  :) I keep my fingers crossed something doesn’t screw this up.  O:-)
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 07:36:51 PM »
I live in a suburb of Nashville and am moving out farther in the country. The COVID lockdowns started the mass exodus from downtown to the burbs, and then the riots just turned up the heat. And then throw in the people moving here from  California and New York the area is hot To say the least.

Oh yeah,  I will be putting my place up for sale in a couple of months and expect to do very well, while I locked in the price for our new house last January.  :) I keep my fingers crossed something doesn’t screw this up.  O:-)

Good going Bob! You did well --

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 08:59:25 PM »

Good going Bob! You did well --

It’s not done yet, so I knock on wood and hope for the best.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 09:07:02 PM »
I noticed that around here as well. Houses Poppin up for sale more and more. I wonder if it has to do with occupation change. Someone moving in or out because of a job.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
So what do you guys see in the future with this? I`m trying to plan the best course of action to get out myself.
What scenario in the future would drive people back to the cities and cheapen up the land out there again?
Financial crash?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?