Author Topic: Gasoline shortages?  (Read 7296 times)

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
Re: Gasoline shortages?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 10:37:08 AM »
I'll admit Teslas intrigue me. I'm still working on the the reality bending of how contaminating water with poisonous rare earths and strip mine pits are "greener" then fracking  contaminating water with carbon based compounds.
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 10:55:37 AM »
Electric isn't practical for trucks and heavy hard use vehicles now, but may be at some point

electric F150 Lightning is coming out next year.  Got an email from ford as I bought a new ford 3 years ago, no real info on the truck though

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2021, 11:00:45 AM »
This is the part of people operating Teslas that scares me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/police-california-tesla-driver-riding-in-backseat-arrested/ar-BB1gEGWC?ocid=msedgntp

Wow, hope they throw the book at that guy.  Said he doesn't fill up gas, doesn't drive and is a gold collar.  Bet he would be popular in the county lock up if the judge decides to give him a few weekends.  Also said he was going to do it again

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »
Electric cars won't take off until they are as cheap as gas cars, can go as far on a "tank", and be "refilled" as fast as a gas car. Call me pessimistic but I don't see that happening.

Maybe they'll have a niche market for wealthy buyers but I seriously doubt they take over unless the gubmint mandates them. Let's see how well political leaders do with private electric jets.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 02:23:10 PM »
Quote from AutoTrader  "The number crunchers at KBB just reported that the estimated average transaction price for a light vehicle in the United States was $40,857 in January 2021. That's an increase of $2,110 compared to January 2020, but is actually slightly down - by $295 - from the prior month."

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/the-average-new-car-price-is-now-over-40000

Old folk comparison in 1968 Dad paid $2896.00 Total for a 1968 Ford Torino GT fast back with all the fixins.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 02:48:55 PM »
Quote from AutoTrader  "The number crunchers at KBB just reported that the estimated average transaction price for a light vehicle in the United States was $40,857 in January 2021. That's an increase of $2,110 compared to January 2020, but is actually slightly down - by $295 - from the prior month."

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/the-average-new-car-price-is-now-over-40000

Old folk comparison in 1968 Dad paid $2896.00 Total for a 1968 Ford Torino GT fast back with all the fixins.

Does that include the semiconductor chips or not? :lol_hitting:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »
I gassed up this morning at $2.59/gallon coming home that same station is at $2.69. Now there are refineries 90 miles south in Corpus and 90miles to the east in Houston. Those pipelines aint that automated.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 04:14:52 PM »
Here in my neck of the woods -- Northern Virginia, the gasoline stations are dropping like flies. You can plot their outages on Gas Buddy hour by hour. We filled all the tanks last week, and today most all the stations in our vicinity have reported "No Gas!". Most stations still have diesel and kerosene, but no gasoline. I feel sorry for the long commuters in my area because in a few days time they will not be able to get to/from work.

Barring a major federal/state fuel transportation and logistics mobilization, I suspect that the east coast will be shut down by this weekend. To make matters worse, people are resorting to hoarding, stealing, and downright street fighting to get their hands on gas. Hope you guys have put away some groceries and frozen food because many supermarket shelves will soon be bare.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2021, 05:09:04 PM »
Better stock up on TP, that's for sure!  :hee20hee20hee:

But seriously: How the heck can people wait in line for 5 hours to get gas? Do they stop and start the entire time, or idle, or physically push the car every time the line moves? Seems to me you'd waste so much gas in 5 hours that it'd be better to stay put.
And two big thumbs up for having stored supplies in case of an emergency. Beans, bacon, and brew.  :great: :great:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:12:17 PM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 05:15:21 PM »
I gassed up this morning at $2.59/gallon coming home that same station is at $2.69. Now there are refineries 90 miles south in Corpus and 90miles to the east in Houston. Those pipelines aint that automated.

It was $3.18 at my nearest station, and they are now dry.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 08:06:10 PM »
$2.89 in Chillicothe haven't heard of shortages here.

Going back to the year of the last big shortage. Anyone recognize this one?

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 08:21:14 PM »
My wife and I were reminiscing just today about the '73 crisis when we were allowed to get gas on "even" or "odd" days depending on the last digit of our license plate. She recalled queuing up for hours just to fill up her car for the week. Those were the days!!!

GOOD NEWS!!! Just heard on the news that Colonial Pipeline has resumed operations and is expected to resume deliveries on an expedited schedule.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/colonial-pipeline-back-online-energy-secretary-says

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »
I was in High School in 1973 and working at a gas station after school. It was a pain dealing with drivers who thought they were so important that they didn't have to follow the odd and even scheme. It seemed like the owner called every single day at closing time to tell his son and I to change the numbers on the sign and he would change the pump price in the morning. When the price hit 40 cents per gallon we thought it was insane.

Offline john k

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 09:59:47 PM »
I remember driving all over Colorado Springs looking for an open station.  Then when gas went over a dollar everyone realized not a single gas pump in the country could register a price higher than 99cents a gallon.  So for awhile gas prices were 4 cents, the station added the dollar.