Author Topic: Lesson Learned Plumbing Edition  (Read 1525 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Lesson Learned Plumbing Edition
« on: April 03, 2023, 09:57:51 PM »
I hate plumbing as much as the next guy but do it anyway. I had to remove the trap from under the bathroom sink. Should be no big deal right?

It's white plastic PVC up to the ABS part in the wall. Long long story short I ended up chasing leaks all the way to the wall. Get the last one and something else is dripping. So I just said enough (well, it was actually a different adjective) and ripped it all out and replaced it all from the sink drain to the wall.

Next time I'm going to avoid as much aggravation as possible and just replace it all from the start.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Online jabberwoki

Re: Lesson Learned Plumbing Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 10:32:15 PM »
I had plumbing issues last week also. Chasing blockages .tikes ended up cutting the hole lot out and replacing it.
Old galvanized pipe caked with decades of build up. Bought this of C/L today for $120.
Going to chase all the pipes and air vents.

PS NEVER FLUSH DENTAL FLOSS.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 11:58:33 PM »
Looks like some serious business there.

Great deal at 120.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 06:17:19 AM »
I agree with Steve. That is a non nonsense machine Jabber. A very good deal.

I'm in the same boat as you Steve. Can't stand plumbing, but do it because plumbers are hard to find around these parts, and they are very expensive. That said, I've learned that if I attempt a job I always triple the time I think it will take. If I initially think it'll take two hours, I automatically budget for six. Most of the time I'm within the ballpark.

Offline 34Ply

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 08:19:15 AM »
I live in FL. Some newer houses have a well just for there sprinklers as mine does. It's a point type well driven down by what I call a pounder. The people that put mine in used 3" iron pipe. below ground is good (no oxygen) but the top 10" is above ground. I've know it was rusting but I thought it would last. It broke 7:30 on Friday night while I was playing poker. It split about A 1 1/2" and it has to have a 100# of presser from the ground. Got most of it stopped with Teflon tape and metal tape but it is still leaking good. Well people are coming Wed. and it will run $450.00 to 650.00 to fix, ouch. :a102: :'(

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 09:24:04 AM »
I echo the general sentiments here. I'd just about go to the dentist before I have to do plumbing.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »
Plumbing does seem to be a can of worms.

Like you Ray my estimate is always way off so I just figure all day.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 12:38:35 PM »
not a fan of most plumbing jobs either and there is a reason plumbers tend to replace rather than repair

Jabber, nice machine!!!

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 12:49:38 PM »

Same with the blue shop towels. They're a plastic that catches on everything in the pipe and doesn't ever break down. Don't ask why I know...

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 09:06:28 PM »

Same with the blue shop towels. They're a plastic that catches on everything in the pipe and doesn't ever break down. Don't ask why I know...

I've got a clorox sanitizing wipe on display in my lab at work soaking in water. its got a date of 2014 on it. still looks brand new. I show it to all the groups that come out for tours. Just because it says flushable doesn't mean its biodegradable.

When I ran the rentals I did all the supply line plumbing but wouldn't touch the drains. Hired a plumber for that.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 11:23:10 PM »
When I learned the shop towel lesson, I was renting this little shithole house in the old part of town. The rental agency called the plumber to come snake the drain. He told me he was always nervous on the old millworker houses like mine because the sewer line was usually planks and tarpaper, wire banded together when the house was built in the 40s, and the snake would blow right through the side. Luckily for him that day he was able to pull about 50lbs of hair-fine roots from the tree in the front yard and one blue shop towel out of the pipe. It's a wonder any turds were making it to the street.

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 12:37:45 PM »

I've got a clorox sanitizing wipe on display in my lab at work soaking in water. its got a date of 2014 on it. still looks brand new. I show it to all the groups that come out for tours. Just because it says flushable doesn't mean its biodegradable.

When I ran the rentals I did all the supply line plumbing but wouldn't touch the drains. Hired a plumber for that.

You would not believe the size of some of the rag balls made of "flushable whipes"  We where on a job in South Carolina and had to assist the city workers pull a ball almost the size of vw bug using a crane. Icky

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2023, 01:53:52 PM »
Never start a plumbing activity after noon. Unless it is an emergency I will collect parts and start it the next day. Always buy twice the fittings you think you might need. And figure on an additional trip to the supply place or home center to get whatever you didn't think to pick up before hand. I keep an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tub full of fittings and such and call it the plumbing tub. Also has the mapp gas torch and a couple cylinders in there along with the stuff to sweat copper.
Pee traps always get new gaskets when they come apart. And with a wife three daughters and now a grand daughter that has been pretty regular in my 30 yrs of marriage.
Rich

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 03:26:06 PM »
Never start a plumbing activity after noon. Unless it is an emergency I will collect parts and start it the next day. Always buy twice the fittings you think you might need. And figure on an additional trip to the supply place or home center to get whatever you didn't think to pick up before hand. I keep an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tub full of fittings and such and call it the plumbing tub. Also has the mapp gas torch and a couple cylinders in there along with the stuff to sweat copper.
Pee traps always get new gaskets when they come apart. And with a wife three daughters and now a grand daughter that has been pretty regular in my 30 yrs of marriage.

Wise advice

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 07:01:31 PM »

Wise advice

Agreed, very wise advice, plumbing projects and repairs should always start in the morning!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!